Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COMPUTER DOESN'T RECOGNIZE NEW HARD DRIVE

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pinegum

pinegum

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

I have a full ATX computer case with two mobile racks for hard drives. I just found out about the new SSD discs, bought a Kingston 240GB SSD, because my two mobile racks are Kingwin trayless (KF-1000-BK), I bought one of the Kingwin racks, HDCV-3, which enables the new SSD/HDCV-3 to fit the trayless racks.. My problem now is that when I boot up with both the WIN7HDD, active operating drive, and the new SSD drive, my computer doesn't recognize the SSD drive under "Computer". How am I suppose to patrician/format the new drive when it doesn't show up anywhere?? I seem to remember the same thing happened when I installed my 1TB HDD,  It's working now but I can't remember how I did it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

Check the BIOS. Once you get the BIOS to see the HDD, it "should" show up in Windows. Be careful doing this! I would back-up or remove the Active drive while trying to get the SSD "seen".

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

DISKMGMT.MSC<enter> in the search box. It will then prompt you to initialize the drive.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

As suggested...do the BIOS check first.  If it appears in the BIOS properly, then do the diskmgmt.msc drill.

Louis

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:28 PM

Did you or did you not use the data migration software?  I mounted the SSD in an enclosure ran the software which worked perfectly, then I put the drive in a bay have had -0- hitches.  Note prior to using the software the drive did not show!!!!!!!!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

DISKMGMT.MSC<enter> in the search box. It will then prompt you to initialize the drive.

Tried this. Still doesn't show up. Only my WIN7HDD "C" drive shows up.

For the others who responded, I want to clarify that when I boot up, both the HDD (Drive C) (Active) and the SSD drive show a light on the mobile racks. The SSD drive doesn't show up un DISKMGMT like it should. I'm not confident about playing around with the BIOS. (Never had to before) and the "data migration software" mentioned, I'm not trying to move files to the SSD drive yet. I use Acronis to "Copy Disk"

Should I remove the HDD drive which contains my OS and files and try to boot with the SSD which has nothing on it??

Appreciate all your help.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

So, if you stick any old 3.5 inch HDD in the second KF-1000-BK, is it recognized by the PC? If not, there is something wrong with your power or SATA cables. If yes, there is something wrong with the HDCV-3 adapter.
Personally, I find almost all of the "hotswap" bays to be terribly unreliable.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#8 pinegum

pinegum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

Answer to first question - yes. This is the first time I've used a HDCV-3 with an SSD. Maybe the adapter. I did have a similar problem the first time I inserted a 1TB HDD which is a bit thicker, but somehow I got it to show up cause it works fine now.
Thanks for your help/experience.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:06 AM

Disconnect all drives other than the optical drive.

Connect the SSD.

Enter the BIOS.

Is the SSD reflected on the main page of the BIOS as being an installed, detected drive...with the optical drive being the only other drive represented?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users