Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install driver to new product error code 31 and code 39

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jamtime

jamtime

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

Hello, I made a post before but now I think it's a driver installing issue that is not recognized.

What OS you have?

Windows Vista 64bit Home

What about early before this error happen?

I updated Norton 360, firefox and some other stuff. I "uninstall" Webroot Secuirty as it was never used and very old. I went to "msconfig" to take some stuff out of startup. I also went to "services" to stop some stuff from running that I felt I didn't need it to be a run. Now I restarted the computer so the update can install.

What happen after the computer restarted?

Windows loaded and I notice a yellow triangle bottom right corner that the internet is not working. So right clicked it to go to "Network and Sharing Center" and click diagnose. It didn't connect, So I went to device manager and see the same yellow trinagle on my Marvell Yukon network adapter.

What you did in Device Manager?

I disable and re enable it, i uninstall and reinstall without deleting, then i unistall and reinstall with deleting.

Did you install a new driver?

Yes I installed a new driver from the website and restarted I then uninstall it and used the restore Gateway Recovery Management which had the drivers. It never finish installing because it says there is a problem.

Did you do a System Restore?

Yes and everytime I pick an early date and restart the computer within 5 minutes a popup comes and says the the system restore didn't work and to try again.

What I did next?

Now I went to the store to buy a wifi usb adapter, I put in the cd to install but its not installing the drivers but showing up on device manager that there is a usb adapter. Then I take my usb hard drive and it ask if I want to install the drivers for the hard drive I go ahead but it gives me a driver error also.

I am looking at event viewer to see what happen and can't seem to find what the problem is. I even put back what I took out msconfig and from services to start up.

I searched the internet and found someone with the same problem and they never fixed the issue and just installed windows again here is the link.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/network-adapter-drivers-error-code-31-not-allowing/24a992fb-53fd-4249-bc00-17d0d06c86f4

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

Instead of doing a completely new clean install, you might try automatically repairing Windows Vista using Startup Repair, per the instructions located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

This repair method might fix your problems, plus the advantage it has over doing a full, clean install is that you should not have to reinstall your various software programs and it won't format your drive (wiping out all of your data files).  After doing the startup repair, you WILL need to download and install numerous Windows updates, but that is a simple process (just takes a little time & patience).

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#3 jamtime

jamtime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

The repair didn't work and then I tried system restore on that screen it didn't work also. I attached photo's.

Attached Files

Edited by jamtime, 16 October 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#4 jamtime

jamtime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

On startup repair it says

"Number of root causes = 1" on Session details

Attached Files

Edited by jamtime, 16 October 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#5 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

Please see this MS guidance:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-wont-start-up-startup-repairs-and-system/0132d9c7-fd3d-401f-8378-17c0de4922ed

Are you able to boot into windows safe mode?

If not, are you able to do a clean boot?

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#6 jamtime

jamtime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

Yes I am able to boot in safe mode and my computer. I was looking into event viewer more carefully to see what can be the problem. I think the problem is "WdiServiceHost". I looked in "Services" and I can't click to start it, it currently in stopped.

On this website http://computerstepbystep.com/diagnostic_service_host_service.html

it says to go to regedit and change the value, but the computer won't let it. It also said to go to cmd with run as admin and it gives me access denied.

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalService    is the path which is not on. I need to find a way to start it up.

Edit - Just found out Norton 360 has blocked svchost.exe . Saying "unauthorized access blocked (set registry security key)". Now i just have to contact norton to remove this block as I can't find a way.

Edited by jamtime, 16 October 2014 - 11:45 PM.

#7 jamtime

jamtime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

Ok the problem is fixed. I confirm it was indeed Norton 360 that caused all this trouble for me. I had to disable Norton Product Tamper Protection, restart cpu and then do a system restore. I don't know why the system restore deleted or maybe its just not showing up on desktop the files I had there. Everything in program files are still there, but I was hoping it didn't go back to factory default.

For those who made a search and this came up. Don't do system restore first try to restart and see if you can see it fixed. You can turn back on Norton Product Tamper Protection.

So this question I had is resolved, but wish a better way this was handle as I am not happy with the system restore going back to factory settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users