Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 o0Raille0o

o0Raille0o

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Hi! I'm new here. Like most (probably), I came here because I'm having an issue with my laptop that I do not know how to solve using conventional methods, so I'm hoping someone can sling a few idea my way. I am too poor to pay for IT help every time I have an issue and I'd rather know how to take care of my own computer, anyways.

It started a while back. I started noticing files going missing. They're always ones I haven't visited in a few months/don't look at regularly. At first, I thought maybe I had forgotten to save them. But then whole file folders started disappearing that I knew I'd seen recently. I'm not entirely sure how much stuff is missing, but of what I have noticed, it's all my graduate school lectures, notes, and powerpoints. Stuff I really need when we do a refresher course in a few semesters.

My initial thought was that I had a virus that had slipped my/my antivirus' attention, so I updated my antivirus to Webroot, did a scan, and it removed one "threat" (Pando Media Booster), rescanned, and it said all threats were gone. Then I attempted to show any hidden folders using the method described here: (http://shoobm.wordpress.com/2013/04/28/recover-hidden-files-from-flash-drives-or-external-hard-disks-due-to-virus-infection/). All this did was create 35 see through file icons on my desktop whose titles where altered to start with '~$' and I am unable to open any of them. None of them are really useful for me. Nothing has reappeared in my class folders. I then attempted to dredge any possibly deleted folders/files with Recuva. It found a ton of files this way. Details said they were not deleted, but when I try to open them office says they are corrupt and cannot be opened. Most of my important files are still missing, and I'm not 100% what caused them to disappear in the first place.

My questions are:

1.) Is there anything other than a virus that could have caused my files to mysteriously disappear?

2.) Are there any other recovery methods/places these files could be hiding?
3.) Any other advice?

Thank you, everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

Hello there,

Perhaps try system restore to a time when the files were present in your system. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Hope this helps! 

#3 o0Raille0o

o0Raille0o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for your advice masterthemachines. Unfortunately, I'm trying to avoid a system restore if I can. I don't know a specific date that the files started disappearing, and system restore does not recover files and documents, but it would most likely remove my new antivirus, which would be a pain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users