Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browser failure, windows installer failure and uac restricted control

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sparky77

sparky77

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

Trying to fix my dad's PC that has been on the the decline for a few weeks. He had a tech dude look at it for a few hrs one night, couldn't fix it and said it was a virus or malware. I got a hold of it and have run a few bootable AV's to no avail ie. kaspersky, AVG, Hitman Pro. 

The oldest issue I could find was the failure to update the .net framework 4.5.1 update for maybe 3 months. this had been tried multiple times.

I'm unsure what the cause is, any help would be appreciated, some of the symptoms that I can think of are;

Internet browser failure - Internet explorer will only get to a white screen then shut down and sometimes take the PC with it. Chrome (before I removed it) was loading, but giving the 'aww Snap' blue screen.

Windows Update is failing, mainly on the .net framework update - I tried resetting update with the same results.

User Account control is not functioning correctly - tried to create a new administrator account in case of corrupt user but the button to create new account is not responding.

There are some other issues but I think they mainly tie back to these primary failures. As a result of these failures I haven't been ab;e to get any solid programs installed to do any good. All installations come up with different faults, either "error 1719", or "invalid picture" or "windows installer not installed correctly".

I know I have spent almost a week of evenings trying to solve this with now joy, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies, this is my first post, if there's anything else I can add please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

Same issue with browsers in safe mode with networking?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 sparky77

sparky77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

Hi Broni,

thanks for your quick response.

Yes, same issue in safe mode & safe mode with networking. I did try removing them them, downloading a new clean copy, transferring via usb and installing but this also fails at the install stage.

Some programs/apps can be installed but I think they're just the ones that can be run independent without the need of windows installer.

Also, to add, the hitman pro boot usb I set up wouldn't work on the troubled PC. I did test it on mine, and it booted up fine, took control and did a scan no worries. 

With the UAC issue, I can turn the guest account on and off, I can modify the main user/admin account but cannot create a new account, the button doesn't register. Which also happens with a button in the programs and features folder of the control panel, the 'view installed updates' button fails the function. 

Thanks

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

Download Windows Repair (All in One) from this site

Download standalone version.

Install the program then run it.

NOTE 1. In Windows Vista, 7 and 8 right click on the program, click "Run As Administrator".
NOTE 2. Disable your antivirus program before running Windows Repair.

Go to Step 3 and click on Check button next to 1. See If Check Disk Is Needed.
If the tool that the Check Disk is needed click on Do It button next to 2. Check Disk.
In that case make sure you restart computer.

p22012121.gif

Once the above is done go to Step 4 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on Do It button:

p22012122.gif

Go to Step 5 and under "System Restore" click on Create button:

p22012123.gif

Go to Repairs tab and click Open Repairs button.

p22012124.gif

In next window....
Leave all checkmarks as they're.
Click on Start Repairs button.

p22012126.gif

Post Windows Repair log which is located in the following folder:
64-bit systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs
32-bit systems - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 sparky77

sparky77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

Thanks Broni,

I will get this started and have a look when I get back from work tonight.

#6 sparky77

sparky77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:40 PM

Looks like I didn't need that long, downloaded the portable version when I tried to install I got the 'invalid picture' message, which I've seen a bit of.

Also tries to install the non portable version to get this message 'the specified is not valid'. I did get the option to change install directory here, but then it froze. I also tried to manually create the folder it was trying to install in but same message. 

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:44 PM

What Windows version is it?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 sparky77

sparky77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:16 PM

Windows 7 home premium

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

Try repair installation: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 sparky77

sparky77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:24 AM

Thanks Broni,

didn't think it was looking good, was trying to avoid that. Just trying to get the product key out of the system at the moment, tried 3 different programs so far with no luck. Have you got any suggestions for that?

Otherwise, thank you for your help with my busted up system.  :thumbup2:

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

Tried this one?

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users