Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recent Windows Update KB2952664

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

Greetings to BC Community!!

Just attempted to install the latest 17 updates from M$. However KB2952664 failed to install. Never experienced any problems installing updates before and all usually go smoothly. This is a first for me. Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this particular update.

Regards............

Should have mentioned that I tried to install manually but it states there are no updates available. Then looked at installed updates and lo and behold it was there :scratchhead: So why does it show that it failed ?  Curious?

Any input would be graciously received.

Thanks.....................

Edited by sikntired, 15 October 2014 - 09:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Stephen W

Stephen W

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:18 PM

I'm having an issue with updates today too. After installing if sends my PC into start up repair. I'm currently installing a few at a time to try to figure out which is the problem. Anybody else got this issue?

UPDATE:

I've now installed all updates except KB2949927. Strangely Windows Update reports this as a critical update but leaves it unticked. Do I try installing it or not?
UPDATE2:
I tried installing KB2949927 and that was indeed the update causing Startup Repair to launch and revert to a previous restore point. I've hidden that update for now but if anybody knows of the solution to this, please let me know.

Edited by Stephen W, 15 October 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#3 fwshaw

fwshaw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

Sikntired,

I had the exact think happen to my system yesterday; KB2952664 failed to install. I was the first time I've had a Microsoft weekly install and I've been updating Windows weekly for more than a decade. 

I resolved this failure by going to to "View update History"...then at the top of the page clicked on "Installed Updates" ....then scanned this list for an earlier installation entry of the same file (KB2952664). It was installed several months ago. I did a right-click on that fill to uninstall it.  Next I went back to the "Control Panel" and clicked on "Windows Update" . . .then clicked "Check for Updates" (upper left side of the screen). . . after a few minutes the system indicated I needed to update my system with KB252664. . . I clicked to install it. I was successfully installed. 

Hope this is not too complex of an explanation of how I overcame the original failed install yesterday. Hope it is of some help to you. 

Regards.

#4 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 912 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

fwshaw,

Thanks for your input. After some research I decided to uninstall KB2952664. And I basically did as you so well described to get that update installed.

However the update is still showing as failed when viewing update history. Very strange. Thinking that maybe I needed to shutdown and restart. It still shows as failed even though it appears in installed updates.

Hoping that someone might have further insight.

Thanks...........................

#5 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:17 PM

I installed the updates at work this afternoon and my computer suddenly shut off.  I haven't had a chance to check out anything as I had to get back to work.  I got home and installed them on another computer and the computer freezes up.  It would get past the start-up screen.  Finally I started in safe mode and restored my computer before the updates and now it works fine.  Something is seriously wrong with something in these updates.

Both computer Windows 7 home premium.

#6 RedTory44

RedTory44

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

Power off and then on. Start up in safe mode. The updates install and you're sent back to your logon screen.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:24 PM

Topic locked to prevent additional improper posting by members.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users