Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GetSome

GetSome

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:47 PM

I recently deleted a folder name "_" somewhere within C:\Documents and settings\TEMP.D89G8B31.001 or something like that. Or withing Morzilla\Application Data i can't remember. Ever since i deleted that my firefox broswer doesn't work when i try to open it a message pops up saying "Firefox is already running but not responding. To open a new window, you must close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."

I tried restarting and turning off my computer and my firefox still will not open. I also tried to run the uninstaller both from add/remove programs and the Morzilla Folder in program files but it won't let me uninstall Firefox. The last thing i tried was downloading the firefox setup using internet explorer and reinstalling it over my my current firefox and I still get the same problem. Can anyone help me get my firefox working or help me get uninstall it so i can reinstall it to make it work? Also I would like to save or keep my old bookmarks if thats possible. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

Have you tried to uninstall Firefox in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

To save your bookmarks, make a copy of the Bookmark.html file, before you uninstall, and save it to somewhere you'll be able to find it.
This is where all of your Bookmarks are stored.
Set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ user name \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.random characters \ Bookmark.html
And make a copy of the Bookmark.html file

Then you can replace, the new one created, with the old one, you copied.
After you install Firefox, delete Bookmark.html, and replace it with your saved copy of Bookmark.html.
That way, you'll have all of your Bookmarks back.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:39 PM

Unistalling Ff will not delete your Profile. In this case, I think you will want to manually delete the perhaps-damaged profile (and the Ff folder if you cannot uninstall it in safe mode) before reinstalling Ff and importing your already saved bookmarks.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 GetSome

GetSome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:04 AM

So I tried uninstalling firefox in safemode and the uninstaller worked then I restarted in normal mode and reinstalled firefox and I still get the same message "Firefox is already running but not responding. To open a new window, you must close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."

So I think I deleted a really important file. The folder I deleted was named "_" somewhere in the "Application Data" it was a hidden file. So do I have to reformat to get firefox to start working again?

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

You need to save your bookmarks and then delete your Firefox Profile, which you probably damaged when you deleted that file. You must do this manually, because uninstalling Ff will not uninstall the Profile.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:27 AM

As jgweed said, to completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.
This file is not removed when you uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove.
It will retain all of your previous settings, and re-apply them to your new install, if it's not deleted.
That's why, when you install a new version of Firefox, your previous settings, bookmarks, passwords, etc., all remain the same.
For a Fresh (start from scratch) install, this folder has to be removed.

Here's how to manually uninstall Firefox, including the Profile folder:

Set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows

Uninstall your current version of Firefox from Add/Remove programs.
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles
Delete the Profiles folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup).
Then navigate to:
C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox, and delete that folder.

Then reinstall Firefox.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 GetSome

GetSome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

The problem is solved guys. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users