Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Trying to Update?!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 chriggsiii

chriggsiii

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:52 AM

O.K., this is REALLY STRANGE.

Because of the Windows XP Internet Explorer's ability to list every single file loaded by a web page in its temporary cache, I have found the Windows XP operating system quite useful. Therefore I have chosen to leave one of my three computers on Windows XP, in spite of the fact that Microsoft no longer supports that operating system.

It had been my understanding that, since Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP, we would no longer be receiving Windows updates on computers with Windows XP loaded.

But just now, when I went to turn off my Windows XP computer, I got an alert, for the first time in MONTHS, basically since all support ended, that there were updates ready to be installed!

WTF????!!!

How is it possible that Microsoft is pushing updates to a computer with an operating system that Microsoft no longer supports??!!

For now, I'm definitely NOT going to install these updates. For all I know, this may be Microsoft's way of sneakily forcing my computer off of Windows XP and onto 8.1, or perhaps even 9 now that Microsoft no longer supports 8.1. If you remember, Microsoft tried to pull that trick with some Windows 8 users a few months ago, and it occurred to me that Microsoft now might be trying to pull the same crap with Windows XP users.

Is that what's going on here? Anyone know? Or is this a legitimate Windows XP update? If it is, what is the purpose of this update? Does this mean Microsoft is restoring support for Windows XP?

On a related question, in Windows 8, if I go into Windows Update I can see a list of impending updates, brief descriptions of same, and links for more detailed update descriptions. Is there a place on Windows XP I can go that will give me the same descriptions regarding these impending updates for Windows XP?

Like I say, this is a weird one. I feel as if I'm a time-warp. Seriously, has Microsoft restored support for Windows XP??!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:25 AM

You will still receive Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool each month for WinXP. 

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 chriggsiii

chriggsiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:18 AM

You will still receive Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool each month for WinXP.

Hmmm. It's been way over a month since I got my last Windows XP update. The last one I got was in March, seven months ago. So it looks like I've not been getting the Malicious Software Removal (MSR) Tool. If that's the case, then it would be odd that I would suddenly be getting the MSR now. Unless they just started the MSR.

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

I'm still running Win XP Pro and I've received the MSR every month.  I really doubt MS is trying to pull anything even remotely considered fishy by providing this tool to existing XP users.

Quote from MS:

The Malicious Software Removal Tool will continue to be provided for Windows XP through July 14, 2015; it will also continue to be delivered automatically via Windows Update and for download via the Download Center.

#5 chriggsiii

chriggsiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

I'm still running Win XP Pro and I've received the MSR every month.  I really doubt MS is trying to pull anything even remotely considered fishy by providing this tool to existing XP users.

Quote from MS:
The Malicious Software Removal Tool will continue to be provided for Windows XP through July 14, 2015; it will also continue to be delivered automatically via Windows Update and for download via the Download Center.

Well, I'm running Windows XP Home, not Pro. So the fact that after I've received absolutely nothing for seven months I'm suddenly getting this unexpected notice really feels fishy. I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by chriggsiii, 15 October 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#6 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

The MSR update is for XP users...not specifically Pro or Home.  Perhaps you've just overlooked them the past couple of months of you've turned off the Automatic Update option until recently?  

#7 chriggsiii

chriggsiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

The MSR update is for XP users...not specifically Pro or Home. Perhaps you've just overlooked them the past couple of months of you've turned off the Automatic Update option until recently?

Nope; haven't touched anything. It really is quite odd; I don't know what to do. What's particularly frustrating is that, apparently, there's no way in Windows XP to examine ahead of time what this update is all about. We don't even know that it IS the MSR. And I haven't heard anything from anyone here that there is a way to examine the updates ahead of time in Windows XP. There is a way in Windows 8 and I always look now religiously after I got badly burned on that attempt to forcily upgrade us from 8.0 to 8.1. But I know of no way to do so in Windows XP and neither, apparently, does anyone here, unless they just haven't spoken up.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

You can look at your update history in add remove programs. To know what was installed on any given date.

Click the check box next to the "Show Update" option located at the top of the window.

Look for the "Windows XP - Software Updates" header. Below that, you will find a list of all the installed Window's updates and the date when they were installed.

It's possible some were installed automagically. This way you can verify if they were or weren't

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 chriggsiii

chriggsiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:03 AM

You can look at your update history in add remove programs. To know what was installed on any given date.

Click the check box next to the "Show Update" option located at the top of the window.

Look for the "Windows XP - Software Updates" header. Below that, you will find a list of all the installed Window's updates and the date when they were installed.

It's possible some were installed automagically. This way you can verify if they were or weren't

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear.

I have no interest in looking at what's been installed in the past. I'm talking about the capability of looking at the description(s) of update(s) that are about to be installed, not those that have already been installed. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,576 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

I'm still running XP.

There was a recent update to XP

As previously stated...since the end of life for XP, the Malicious Software Removal tool has continued and will continue to be released by MS for XP on a monthly basis.

Aside from that, there has only been one other update released for XP since the stated end of life...that was an update to IE to deal with certain vulnerabilities discovered post the XP end of life.  That update was released for all versions of Windows.

For whatever reason you may have...if you don't want to receive updates for XP, simply disable the auto-update function in XP.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#11 chriggsiii

chriggsiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

First, thank you very much for your information and your help; appreciated!

There was a recent update to XP

When was that update released, please? And was it separate, distinct and apart from the monthly MSR tool?

As previously stated...since the end of life for XP, the Malicious Software Removal tool has continued and will continue to be released by MS for XP on a monthly basis.

It is clear that, for whatever reason, I have not been receiving those monthly updates.

Aside from that, there has only been one other update released for XP since the stated end of life...that was an update to IE to deal with certain vulnerabilities discovered post the XP end of life. That update was released for all versions of Windows.

And when was that released, please?

For whatever reason you may have...if you don't want to receive updates for XP, simply disable the auto-update function in XP.

Just to be clear, my train of thought, up to now, has had nothing to do with discontinuing updates for XP. Indeed, the thought had not even crossed my mind. It was Microsoft which stopped sending me updates to XP, not me. My focus, at this point, is to determine the nature of this particular update that has shown up out of the blue, NOT to necessarily stop this, or any other, Windows update.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:28 PM

I'm talking about the capability of looking at the description(s) of update(s) that are about to be installed, not those that have already been installed. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The update history as already provided and suggested would give you the detailed description of installed updates. However, if you need to check for readily available updates, you would need to to configure windows update settings in Security Center.

Edit : spell check

Edited by jhayz, 16 October 2014 - 11:09 PM.

Tekken

#13 chriggsiii

chriggsiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:36 PM

I'm talking about the capability of looking at the description(s) of update(s) that are about to be installed, not those that have already been installed. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The update history as already provided and suggested would give you the detailed description of installed updates. However, if you need to check for readily available updates, you would need to to configure windows update settings in Security Center.

So I went to those Windows Update settings in XP, and saw that I'm given the option to go to a Microsoft web page at http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us where all currently pending updates are listed. I went there and there were NO high security or strongly recommended updates listed there for Windows XP. So at least I've managed to confirm that the fact that my Windows XP is screaming at me about an update is indeed odd, and does indeed not make sense. Something is definitely not right.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

(KB890830)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - October 2014 (KB890830)
Installation date: 15/10/2014 5:37 PM
Installation status: Succeeded
Update type: Important
After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.

KB890830
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - August 2014 (KB890830)
Installation date: 14/08/2014 4:34 PM : Installation status: Succeeded : Update type: Important
After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.

This is the standard Update number KB890830 and you will get it for the rest of the year ............

You do not have a problem -

#15 chriggsiii

chriggsiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

"This is the standard Update number KB890830 and you will get it for the rest of the year ............
You do not have a problem -

Except that that's NOT the list I get when I go to the page of all pending Windows XP updates, both optional and recommended. Here's the list I get:

High-priority updates
No high-priority updates for your computer are available. To select other updates, use the options to the left.

These updates must be installed separately
Updates listed here can have system-wide effects or address more than one problem. It's a good idea to install them now and then check again, starting from the Home page, for remaining updates.

Microsoft Windows XP

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows XP x86 (KB982670)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
The Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile provides a subset of features from the .NET Framework 4. The Client Profile is designed to run client applications and to enable the fastest possible deployment for Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and Windows Forms technology. Details...
Don't show this update again

Select and install other updates
You can select other updates only after you install, or choose not to install, any updates selected above. If no updates appear below, see the options to the left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optional software updates

Microsoft Windows XP

Update for Root Certificates for Windows XP [November 2013] (KB931125)
Download size: 447 KB , less than 1 minute
This item updates the list of root certificates on your computer to the list that is accepted by Microsoft as part of the Microsoft Root Certificate Program. Adding additional root certificates to your computer enables you to use Extended Validation (EV) certificates in Internet Explorer, a greater range of security enhanced Web browsing, encrypted e-mail, and security enhanced code delivery. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed. Details...

Update for Windows XP (KB2808679)
Typical download size: 274 KB , less than 1 minute
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Windows PowerShell 2.0 and WinRM 2.0 for Windows XP and Windows Embedded (KB968930)
Download size: 5.9 MB , less than 1 minute
The Windows Management Framework Core package includes Windows PowerShell 2.0 and Windows Remote Management (WinRM) 2.0. For more information on the Windows Management Framework, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968929. Details...

Microsoft MS Security Essentials

Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.185.3559.0)
Download size: 112.4 MB , 2 minutes
Install this update to revise the definition files that are used to detect viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed. Details...

Microsoft Windows Live

Windows Live Essentials
Download size: 1.1 MB , less than 1 minute
Windows Live Essentials provides a set of free programs that help you stay in touch with the people you care about most, edit and share your photos and memories, and even help you keep your kids safer online. Programs include Windows Live Messenger, Mail, Writer, Photo Gallery, Family Safety, Toolbar, and Movie Maker. Details...

Please note the complete absence of any reference to the Malicious Software tool.

Please note the specifically noted absence of any high-priority updates.

Please note that my Windows XP computer is set now, and has always been set for the many, many years I've had it, to automatically download only recommended high-priority updates, and to offer to install them on shutdown. Since the current list indicates that there is NO current high-priority update for my computer, what is the update this computer has downloaded and is whining about wanting to install? It really is a very odd mystery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users