Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiboot With Vista Beta2, Xp Home, And Opensuse 10.0?!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AutoSciz

AutoSciz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:22 PM

I'm downloading the 64bit version of Windows Vista beta 2. I have an AMD Athlon 64 bit processor, so I want to download that Vista version, correct? I have one, 200gig hard drive. Right now I have OpenSuse 10.0 and Windows XP Home installed. I'd love to be able to try Vista out without deleting the other two OS's or doing some other fancy footwork. What's the "easiest" way to go about this?

1. I'd like to create another partition using Suse (not sure exactly how to do that yet) to install Vista on. Word on the street seems to be that I should free up 20gigs. Yes? No? Will it not be that easy?

2. I don't really follow the whole 32 vs 64 bit deal as far as, "the internet or this program won't work" kind of thing. I have my driver disks, but will I have to look elsewhere?

So, what do you think? Is this slightly-above moderate user overlooking anything? Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:52 PM

OK, a lot of this is not quite what you're looking for - but here goes anyway.

Years ago I was able to quad boot Linux, BeOS, Windows 98 and one other OS. It was difficult, but once up and running it worked just fine. You've just got to figure out how to do it and what order to do it in.

Now, I don't have any 64 bit capable systems, so I can't be 100% sure, but the 32 bit Vista installs flawlessly into a dual boot with Windows XP Home and Pro. I'd expect the same to be true about the 64 bit.

With SuSE installed it may be a bit more complicated (I don't know how SuSE will react to a new OS - but all you've got to lose is some time! 20 gB is a minimum that you'll need - remember you'll be having to try out all sorts of software on it!

Now, to add to the problem, there's 32 bit drivers and 64 bit drivers - so that may be an issue for you. Vista Beta 2 (32 bit) handled all of my devices just fine - but I only use major brand hardware components in my systems.

Finally, if it doesn't work with the SuSE, I'd suggest deleting SuSE along with the Vista. Once only XP is left, format and partition your drives for how you'd like them setup in the end. Then install Vista, then install SuSE. This should ensure that SuSE recognizes both of the installations.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users