Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A free FTP hosting program?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:04 PM

I have been trying to find a piece of software to host a FTP server on my PC, mainly for automatic uploads from my IP Cam. Have had ALOT of trouble finding some that A, works and B, is free.

I've tried a bunch, some of which looked to only access servers not host, I don't recall many as I've deleted them.

From memory, FileZilla, SmartFTP, Xlight.

Happy to try one of these again if it can do what I need, but from what I saw it either wasn't for hosting a server, or wasn't free.

Any suggestions?

I had also been told drop box has an FTP upload function, which would suit my needs. However it appears that function is only on the paid version? correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:40 PM

Generally server software costs money. Filezilla does have the server software. Windows 7 IIS how to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWpZkhXnhds Remember FTP is not secure and your password login is sent in plain text over the internet. It's best to use SFTP. That functionality is on Windows Server.

The next best thing is linux opensource and setup a linux box. You could use COPSSH for Windows. Thow it on a old XP box or somthing. https://www.itefix.net/copssh

The freebie download of copssh has some limitations. It only allows 1 user etc. It works well with Filezilla, WinSCP, Putty Bash and tcp proxy tunneling.

#3 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

I took a XP computer, installed IIS, setup the FTP, opened up the ports on the firewall, confirmed they have a static IP and there you go. Doesn't get more free than that.

Filezilla I use to access the FTP server.

I have been trying to find a piece of software to host a FTP server on my PC, mainly for automatic uploads from my IP Cam. Have had ALOT of trouble finding some that A, works and B, is free.

I've tried a bunch, some of which looked to only access servers not host, I don't recall many as I've deleted them.

From memory, FileZilla, SmartFTP, Xlight.

Happy to try one of these again if it can do what I need, but from what I saw it either wasn't for hosting a server, or wasn't free.

Any suggestions?

I had also been told drop box has an FTP upload function, which would suit my needs. However it appears that function is only on the paid version? correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#4 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:39 PM

Thanks Guys, I will look into this IIS thing tonight (never herd of it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users