Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:09 PM

My friends Windows 7 professional 64 bit computer has several problems.

When he starts it up he gets the following message:

TP-Link Wireless configuration Utility.

TWCU.exe The application was unable to start correctly

status: (0xc0000005) To close the application click OK, it closes alright.

But if he wants to start any other program,  he gets the same message, but with the programs name. Or if he wants to install another program, Google Chrome, for example, he gets the same message

But, Microsoft programs start just fine, Except Internet Explorer 10 which starts up but nothing loads in the frame and after 30 seconds it closes.

I suggested reinstalling Windows, but he does not have the Window's CD nor any recovery CDs. Also there are no prior restore points.

I downloaded Ms. Windows offline Defender. Burned it on a CD and ran a scan with it. But it came back clean. Is there any hope for this computer? Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Sometimes there is an update that causes this issue.

Press Win+R, enter command "wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:2872339".

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

http://www.file.net/process/twcu.exe.html

I'd simply uninstall the application to which the file belongs...then reinstall it or an updated version.

Louis

#4 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

bleeperizer  I'll try what you suggested But I have an updating problem too. Even though I couldn't start IE the computer was able to go on the Internet and download a bunch of updates 32,206. Then on the next reboot it says configuration failed and reverting and then reboots and tries again. And fails again. 

As for uninstalling the program, or any other program I get the following: (0xc0000005) An error occurred while trying uninstalling TP-Link Wireless configuration utility. It may have been already uninstalled.

I'll let you know bleeperizer after I try your suggestion.

#5 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

Unfortunately bleeperizer my computer did not even find that update. And when i myself looked through the long list I cold not find it either. I would have liked to run Malware Bytes but since I can't get on the INTERNET and not install any programs at all. I'm stuck. anytime I want to install anything I get the message.

The application was unable to start correctly

status: (0xc0000005) To close the application click OK, it closes alright. Any other suggestions?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:04 PM

Well...without any real information about the system...speculating on what the problems might be...would not probably be of any value. 

Users often assume that a STOP error or an error message can be directly translated into a given problem-and-solution...that's just a non-factual assumption.

One STOP error or BSOD...probably doesn't reveal anything on a system which may have many problems.

On a system with many problems....there are certain basic considerations that should come to mind first:  malware, hard drive, overheating.  I would do my best to assure myself that each of those should be removed as a possible contributor to the situation....before I ever considered looking for other suspects.

Louis

#7 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

Thanks Louis for your insight. By now I think this computer must have a daemon in it. As most Microsoft, except for Internet Explorer, work just fine. Yet I cannot install any other programs, or uninstall any. It's a if the computer has been set up so the son can only do his homework on it and play the Microsoft games on it.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

If you go to Device Manager      (Start...Control Panel....right click on Device manager and Run as Administrator).... does the TP-Link Wireless configuration Utility. appear there ?...under network adapters maybe...??

If so....right click on it and choose UNINSTALL.......then reboot the PC.

I may be blowing bubbles in the dark here...(dangerous practice !!)....but anything is worth a shot...

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I just had to share this. I was just about to give up but made one last try by posting my question on the Microsoft Answers Forum site. One of the answers was to run System File Checker.

Now I did run it a few days ago but from the start button by typing in sfc. It seemed to run it, but was very quickly over.

The answer was to run it from the Command Prompt which took abut twenty minutes. And after the reboot Every thing worked normal. Not even the TP-Link wireless popped up at startup. Makes me wonder why nobody here suggested that. I'm a very happy camper now.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:42 AM

Glad to hear that you solved it :).

As to why no one here suggested it...no information provided by you indicated that a system file was missing or damaged.  The sfc /scannow command addresses such.  There was no reason for anyone here to think that this was the issue, based on what you provided, IMO.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#11 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

Thanks Louis. I guess if I would have listed all the problems that might have helped. But I didn't want my question to be too long. Next time, if there will be one, I'll just list all the problems that I have first and then give the details later.

By the way, I like the automatic spell checker.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

:thumbup2:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users