Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JRE 7u67 Nightmare. Java install/uninstall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DonesoDone

DonesoDone

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

I have spent days, multiple days spanning the last 2 weeks trying to get Java Runtime Environment installed on a Windows Vista Ultimate machine so that my kids can play minecraft all at the same time on the LAN.

Nothing I have tried has worked.

There is a Java folder in the start menu.

All of the Java files appear to be located in the proper folders. I can open the Java control panel and see that the version of Java is Version 7 Update 67 (build 1.7.0_67-b01)

The Java installer throws a continuous error of "Java installer was interrupted".

There is no entry in the uninstall programs list for Java, JRE or Sun Microsystems anything.

I have used JavRa repeatedly and it always shows a log that all Java elements were removed. But none are.

I have used Windows Fix It.. to no avail.

I have used MSIZap.exe to no avail.

I have used msicuu2 to no avail.

I have run all of these programs and the installer as administrator, or through command prompt rooted in c:

I am not without knowledge or ability. 

but right now...I am stumped. Truly and utterly, stumped.

I have searched the registry and deleted all of the entries related.

I have used fix it with the product code for at least a half dozen JRE version updates to uninstall.

Nothing.

Not one thing.

Has worked.

Any advice would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Download the Pro version of Revo Uninstaller good for 30 days. Then use Forced Uninstall. Hopefully that will work

Users Guide

Then use the full offline install of Java

#3 DonesoDone

DonesoDone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:30 PM

Thank you for your suggestions.

Unfortunately it did not help.

I downloaded both of the suggested items.

Revo uninstaller did find a massive collection of registry entries and all the associated files.

I deleted them all did the forced uninstall.

When I went to reinstall I used Revo to track the install and it stopped with an error 1603 while installing that time.

So what would you suggest?

Edited by DonesoDone, 14 October 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

That is a Windows installer error that is hard to track down. Pleas read this. Hopefully it will help with a solution.

One other thing to try is download Microsoft Installer Cleanup. Run it and look for anything Java related. Do not highlight anything else. Select the JAVA entry and select Remove. If you do not find anything related to JAVA exit out of the program.

#5 DonesoDone

DonesoDone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

It found nothing related to Java.

I'm having difficulty with setting up the msi log.

When I execute the verbose log attempt I get an error  : This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package:

This is my log command: msiexec /i "C:\Users\Cornhammer\Downloads\javainstall.exe" /L*V "C:\log\javainstall.log" :

I changed the name of the jre install so that it was easier to path.

So I'm setting the correct path to the jre installer you recommended I download which is the one I have run previously.

If I can't generate a log then I can't use the rest of the troubleshooting steps in the link you provided.

Again each step I take seems to be a dead end.

Thank you for your patience.

Any other ideas?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:37 PM

The problem is you have to do it to a MSI installer file, not an exe file. The only way to do this is to extract the msi file. I am not sure if it will work but check this. You will launch the installer and then find the msi file in the Appdata folder.

Another person on the Forum was able to solve his 1603 error. It may help you.

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

- Did you already run "Tweaking's Windows Repair" ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Follow the instructions provided. Disable internet & antivirus. Run the program with all boxes ticked (Under "Repairs"). The program takes 20 to 30 minutes to execute all repairs.

- According to my info, MZAp & msciuu2 only remove the entry from the registry, not the installation file from the "C:\Windows\Installer" folder. MS places the installer file in that folder so that one can use the installation file at a later date.

#8 DonesoDone

DonesoDone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

One part of this that is killing me is that all the tools I am using to try to fix a situation where I can't get something to install, all have to be installed, and they are installing just fine.

I have successfully installed half a dozen programs to help me figure out why I can't install one specific program.

Thanks so much for the help peeps.

I've broken down and been forced to call in "that cousin"...

#9 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

- Try installing the program in Safe Mode.

- Or do a clean boot

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-7/

and try to install JAVA again.

Edited by Willy22, 18 October 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#10 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

- A number of programs (e.g. JAVA) use the socalled "MSI installer" system. Did you run "Windows Repair" ? It's a program that can reset/repair lots of things in Windows. Including the socalled "MS Installer" technology.

- Run a program called "WICleanup"

(http://appnee.com/wicleanup/)

it helps to remove those unused "MS Installer packages". Then try to re-install JAVA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users