Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing folder

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sloboat

sloboat

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

the "my downloads" folder has vanished from "owners" library. any suggestions on how to recover it? when i download something using the firefox browser, it goes to the desktop. when downloading using ie, the files go to "my videos" folder. need to get my downloads folder back. running win7 home premium. thanks. slo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:01 PM

Was it under Libraries or Favorites? By default Downloads is under Favorites.

libraries.png

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 October 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

Queen-Evie is correct, a shortcut to Downloads is included under Favorites.

The exact location of the shortcut is in the Favorites Bar folder of Internet Explorer.

If the shortcut is missing from Favorites Open the User folder for the account logged into.
1. Right click Downloads and click Create shortcut.
2. Look for the newly created Downloads shortcut.
3. Right click the shortcut and click Rename.
4. Remove the word Shortcut from the title and press <Enter>
5. Open the Favorites folder in a new window, and drag the Downloads shortcut to the Favorites Bar folder in the Favorites window.

Restoring the default Libraries Folders is easy.

Open Start and type libraries. Under Programs (1) Right click Libraries and click Restore default libraries

This will restore Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos.

Adding the Downloads folder to the Libraries is easy also

Navigate to the User folder of the account logged into and open it.

Right click the Downloads folder and hover Include in Library,

Make your choice from the pop-out menu: Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Create new library

Best of luck and Please keep BC informed!

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

There is an easier way to get it back under Favorites. I was going to wait until I received an answer to my question as my next reply would be dictated by the answer. Had the answer been Libraries I would have given the same directions old rocker did for getting it back under Libraries.

Anyway, easier method.

Simply RIGHT CLICK on the word FAVORITES and choose Restore favorites links. This will put Downloads back.

Now to address this issue

when i download something using the firefox browser, it goes to the desktop. when downloading using ie, the files go to "my videos" folder.

The only thing I can think of is

Did you at anytime download anything and have it go to your desktop?

Have you download a video and set it to go to Videos folder?

If so, the next time you download anything, make sure you set the path to send it to Downloads.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 October 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#5 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

before it vanished, the downloads folder, was one of the ones displayed when clicking on "owner". now the downloads folder doesn't show up anywhere, including favorites. right clicking on favorites/restore favorites links, didn't work. as for the path for downloads, i'm not given a choice where to send them to. i always choose save instead of run, (i like to scan the program files prior to installing). before things went amiss, after saving a download file it always went to downloads folder under start > owner > downloads. slo     

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hi

Ok let's try this...

Open Windows explorer browse to the Users folder.

Find the folder associated with the user account. (I believe you called it Owner).

Right click the folder and click Properties, open the Previous Versions tab and see if there are any listings in the window.

Select one and click Restore. You may have to try a few to get the proper one.

If none are available or all corrupt, look for The Default folder. This is the folder that the system gets settings from when you create a new user account.

Open Default and Copy/Paste the Download folder to your user account.

Restart the system.

You will have to check the default download location in your browser(s) and point to your newly created folder.

If all else fails, follow this steps in this link...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:16 PM

If none are available or all corrupt, look for The Default folder. This is the folder that the system gets settings from when you create a new user account.

IF you have to use this step and do not see the Default folder you will have to unhide it.

To unhide:
At the top of any Windows Explorer page click Tools and choose Folder Options.

When Folder Options opens click the View tab.

Look for Hidden files and folders.

UNCHECK Don't show hidden files, folders, and drives.

Click Apply, then OK.

You should then see the Default user folder.

IF YOU DO NOT SEE TOOLS AT THE TOP OF WINDOWS EXPLORER

On the left upper side of the page, click the drop down arrow next to Options.

Choose Layout/Menu Bar.

After you finish doing whatever it is you need to do, go back and set it back to HIDE.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 October 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#8 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

i finally got the "downloads" folder back where it was, but it didn't help. when i download & save files they don't go to the "downloads" folder as before. they go to different places, depending on which browser i use. using ie they go to the "videos" folder, when firefox is used they go to the desktop. when the download completes i only have 2 options, save or run, i'm not asked where to save them to. would a "system restore" to an earlier date would do any good. i went to "old rocker"s" link' but it looked complicated for my limited tech ability. thanks 

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

When using IE does Save have a drop down arrow?

It should. Click the arrow and choose SAVE AS.
140-save2.png

Navigate to where you want the download to go. In your case that would be the downloads folder.

After you get whatever downloaded, try another download with something else to see if it automaticlly goes into the downloads folder.

In Firefox, you can change the location for downloads.

Click the 3 horizontal lines to the far right of the address bar.

Choose OPTIONS. General Tab.

Under Downloads, browse to the Downloads folder. Choose the folder, then click Select Folder.

Try a download in Firefox to see if goes to Downloads.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 October 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#10 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

Don't be intimidated and think that your tech ability limits you. You will feel a sense of accomplishment once you have this issue resolved!

I would definitely give System Restore a shot. You can always undo if it doesn't work.

The fix I've found involves editing the registry.

Please follow this link for backup instructions if you're willing to try.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-registry#1TC=windows-7

Now follow this link to The Fix
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18583-user-folders-restore-default-location.html

Carefully follow the steps outlined under Option 2.

We know You can read, We know You can do it!

I should have looked a little deeper when recommending you copy/paste the folder!

#11 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

in ie when i select save as the "downloads" folder is not there. the "sample videos" folder is already selected, & that's the only destination that works. also the "downloads" folder i managed to get back into my user account looks different than the original, the thumbnail is different, & it doesn't show up in places where it should, ie favorites etc. i'll try a system restore, & if that doesn't work, i'll try old rocker's solution.  slo   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users