Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

two dell pc's with xp o/s but one was wiped clean by mistake

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 papabehr

papabehr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

hi guy's, i have a dell desktop with xp home o/s that still works ok, and i have a dell Inspiron laptop that got it hard drive wiped clean by the wrong setting on ccleaner.  can i make a bootable dvd copy of the o/s from my desktop and transfer it to my Inspiron, and what about the drivers in such a tranfer??  thx papabehr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

No.  An installed Windows...is an installed Windows, there is no way to create an install disk from it.

You can contact Dell and request recovery/restore disks that would allow you to do what amounts to a clean install of the O/S originally on the system.

The drivers and settings for the two systems would be different, the license applicable would be different, in any case.

Contact Dell.

Louis

#3 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

hi guy's, i have a dell desktop with xp home o/s that still works ok, and i have a dell Inspiron laptop that got it hard drive wiped clean by the wrong setting on ccleaner.  can i make a bootable dvd copy of the o/s from my desktop and transfer it to my Inspiron, and what about the drivers in such a tranfer??  thx papabehr

Dell's restore CD's (before Win 8) all have been standard OS reinstalls. It's universal with any Dell computer as long as you have the proper license tag on the machine itself reflecting the OS you load. Driver CD's do come with specific models but my standard practice is as follows:

Reinstall the OS using the Dell CD

Transfer the NIC Card driver via Flash Drive onto the computer

Install

Connect to the Internet and download everything else.

People usually say "...Oh you have to do the Chipset first..." but I found that isn't the case; it will all work in the end. 

support.dell.com and using the Service Tag I found is the easiest to narrow down what drivers you need. I think they still provide drivers for the XP OS but it's been awhile since i had to look for it.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#4 papabehr

papabehr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

ok thx for that, however im retired and computers are a new adventure to me, i got in contact with the dell tech support chat line and they say they can not help me with this old o/s. iv'e been told it is possible to make a bootable repair dvd from another computer with the same o/s. is this possible and can you give me any advice on this that might steer me in the rt direction  thx papabehr

#5 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

It's pretty self explanatory if you have access to another XP computer that is a Dell with the Dell software installed to do it. If you do just check in Start Programs and look in any Dell folder you find. It's literally just answer the questions and make a DVD. The other alternative is an after market program such as Acronis and an external drive but again you would need a PC of the same model. If you have to pay anything it's not cost affective and I would just look into buying a new unit. Sorry.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#6 papabehr

papabehr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

ok thx guys you help me a lot thx

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

Since you can't get the disk from Dell you could install Linux instead.

Edited by Agouti, 15 October 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#8 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

Since you can get the disk from Dell you could install Linux instead.

That's actually a good idea. I am not familiar with Linux personally but I hear there is a graphical version that runs like a dream on just about any computer. I am sure someone in the Linux section can help you further. 

***Note***

#9 papabehr

papabehr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

hey guys, acually i've already installed ubuntu, and while i liked the firefox browser for intance, most of the rest of it was just junk. however i just now found an app called wine that says it will help import some of the windows funtionallity i'm used to into the ubuntu system. so i guess i'll try it out to see if it works   thx for the help and support you guy's give. it's really helpful to an old guy with a new interest like myself    papabehr

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

If you want a Linux distro that looks and feels like Windows you could try a free version of Zorin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users