Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MX-1333 Can I Use High Density RAM?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xeddsx

xeddsx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

Hai guys!

I had an account here back in 06' but must have gotten deleted. So I made anew! :)

My question is (I googled, and searched to no avail first) is about a PC I just built while cleaning my house and finding old parts.

I put Linux (slackware for now) on to my box. The Box has 512MB RAM right now, and i want to upgrade it to 2GB, so I can run Debian or A Ubuntu derivitave with ease. I am looking on ebay, and there is RAM there for like 10$ per 2GB stick.

The problem I am having is this: The RAM speed is the same for low and high density sticks, the 2GB 667 is 10$ and it is high density, the 1GB 533 is 10$. The problem I am having is deciding whether to get the 2GB or the 1GB. Now I know you're think wtf, obviously the 2GB, and I am as well. The only thing I am worried about is the AD description,

Check out the ebay link, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-2GB-PC5300-DDR2-667MHz-PC2-5300-240PIN-DIMM-AMD-Motherboard-Desktop-memory-/361006868151?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item540dafa6b7

As you can see, the chinese seller is saying it is ONLY good for AMD chipsets. As my mx-1333 is an intel chipset, it worries me. But I fail to see the logic. I believe I had a 2x2GB sticks in it before I built my monster rig and discarded the now-repurposed Nix* box.

So, is the chinese person wrong, uneducated, or is he right.

I don't want to have to spend 20$ for 2x1GB sticks when I can get the same in one stick for 10$.

(I don't care about the unbranding. I have used unbranded RAM in the past on most all of my machines with no problems whatsoever. So spare that chat) ;D

Any info is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:00 AM

Is this what you mean by MX-1333? - http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/P5GCMX1333/

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

If so it shows You may install 256 MB, 512 MB, and 1 GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR2 DIMMs into the DIMM sockets

Thus the 2Gb Module will most likely not work.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users