Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon Powershot - Deleted Photos

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

The short version of this story is my GF's mother mistakenly deleted her photos using the tools within the camera. While I think it's a done deal she called Canon in a panic and was told otherwise that there are after market programs that can scan and recover files deleted in this manner.

If this is true and to avoid another call to Canon (me making this call), can anyone point me in the right direction assuming this is even possible?

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:02 AM

I am assuming the photos are on the SD card. You can put the card in a reader and scan using Easeus Data Recovery. It will let you recover 1GB for free. Over that, you would need to pay for a key for the full version.

The free way is to use PhotoRec and scan with that but all files recovered will have generic file names. You would have to open each one and rename the file. PhotoRec is a little harder to work with but it essentially does the same thin. v6.14 is the latest release There is a v7 (beta) that has a GUI front end that is a little easier to use. File system type should be FAT and you should scan from the whole partition. If that does not recover the files than use v6.14

QPhotoRec_Screenshot.png

WIth both make sure the files being recovered is someplace other than the SD card or they will be lost.

#3 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

This will work for something that was "deleted"? 17 - plus years and I still learn new things.  :bananas:

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:33 AM

If it was deleted and not written over by other photos taken, then yes, it should be able to be recovered. I don't exactly know how the camera would delete the photos but I think  you have a very good chance of getting them back.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

You can try Recuva too.  Click the green download box for the free version.

Edited by Agouti, 15 October 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#6 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

Update:

So I went with the first program listed and it worked like a charm EXCEPT you had to pay to restore. I mentioned it to my GF and it didn't go well. So I tried Sony (turned out it was a Sony not a Canon) and that didn't go as well as I liked. So I went into research mode and focused on CNET and I tried the first on the list Pandora and it worked and didn't cost any $$$

Just a heads up if you guys need to do this as well. 

http://download.cnet.com/Pandora-Recovery/3000-2094_4-10694796.html

I now have all the photos on the SD card (but the camera doesn't see it which I didn't care)

My computer

And a 4GB flash drive I gave to her that has the 3GB plus photos on it

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Ivy74, 20 October 2014 - 03:39 PM.

***Note***

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

I'm glad you got all your photos back, however, you should be more careful about where you download from.  Cnet (or Download.com) used to be a goto source in the past but I wouldn't recommend downloading from them now.  Please read this.  ...And, in case you missed it have a look at the following:

mb1qnct.jpg

http://download.cnet.com/2701-20_4-1446.html

The Download.com Installer securely delivers software from Download.com's servers to your computer. During this process, the Download.com Installer may offer other free applications provided by our partners. All offers are optional: You are not required to install any additional applications to receive the software you selected. For more information, please refer to our FAQ.

I'd recommend you download from Softpedia instead.  At least they warn you about any extra crap like in this case...

You should be careful when installing this tool. Since it is an ad-supported product, Pandora Recovery offers to download and install third-party components that it doesn't need to fully function, as well as to make some changes to your web browsers.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:28 PM

Update:

So I went with the first program listed and it worked like a charm EXCEPT you had to pay to restore. I mentioned it to my GF and it didn't go well. So I tried Sony (turned out it was a Sony not a Canon) and that didn't go as well as I liked. So I went into research mode and focused on CNET and I tried the first on the list Pandora and it worked and didn't cost any $$$

Just a heads up if you guys need to do this as well. 

http://download.cnet.com/Pandora-Recovery/3000-2094_4-10694796.html

I now have all the photos on the SD card (but the camera doesn't see it which I didn't care)

My computer

And a 4GB flash drive I gave to her that has the 3GB plus photos on it

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the heads up on Pandora. I will give it a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users