Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Routers in Dorm Rooms

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cshoe2

Cshoe2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:44 AM

So this is eating me up.
I attend a university and I live in the dorms. The wifi here is sub-par and frequently has issues. The access points are ancient and I don't think the university has any intentions of upgrading anytime soon. Sooo crappy wifi----can't get my school work done.

I went out and bought a decently expensive router. Plugged it in to my existing switch (which is plugged into one of the two Ethernet ports) that I use in my room. I configured The router to not use DHCP so it wouldn't screw with the campus network. When I tried using it with my PC which was plugged into the router, I could use the internet for a little while then a new tab would pop up from the university and say that i couldn't use a modem or router and that I have been detected using such a device. The internet in my room would be quarantined until I unplugged the device.
Naturally I assumed the way they could tell I was using a router was one of two things.
-the MAC address of the router
-my defaulted SSID broadcast

I configured the router to hide the SSID and then I made my router use my pc's MAC address. Went to use it and they still could see I was using it. I have the ability to NAT my IP addresses behind the router but that is getting a little out of my knowledge range....

Any advice? Id rather not go through the process of returning an expensive device and furthermore it does not solve the crappy wifi issues. (Ethernet speeds in the dorms are very high)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:36 AM

They red flag your AP because it's a unauthorized AP on their network and yes they can see this with their management security software. Still it wouldn't help anyways you may get a signal to your new shiny AP, but the signal from your AP to their AP is still a garbage signal. I would complain and say, it makes no sense to have a wireless mesh that is congested and weak signals. They need to upgrade to gigabit/fiber channel switches to the area's that need it and then put in a AP. Furthermore, every time you connect a AP to another AP wireless your bandwidth is cut in half.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Your university has a reason for why they don't want you to use your own modem or router.

We cannot and will not help you get around that policy.

While not technically a security measure and not illegal under law it still falls under this since they do have the policy

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

#4 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

So this is eating me up.
I attend a university and I live in the dorms. The wifi here is sub-par and frequently has issues. The access points are ancient and I don't think the university has any intentions of upgrading anytime soon. Sooo crappy wifi----can't get my school work done.

I went out and bought a decently expensive router. Plugged it in to my existing switch (which is plugged into one of the two Ethernet ports) that I use in my room. I configured The router to not use DHCP so it wouldn't screw with the campus network. When I tried using it with my PC which was plugged into the router, I could use the internet for a little while then a new tab would pop up from the university and say that i couldn't use a modem or router and that I have been detected using such a device. The internet in my room would be quarantined until I unplugged the device.
Naturally I assumed the way they could tell I was using a router was one of two things.
-the MAC address of the router
-my defaulted SSID broadcast

I configured the router to hide the SSID and then I made my router use my pc's MAC address. Went to use it and they still could see I was using it. I have the ability to NAT my IP addresses behind the router but that is getting a little out of my knowledge range....

Any advice? Id rather not go through the process of returning an expensive device and furthermore it does not solve the crappy wifi issues. (Ethernet speeds in the dorms are very high)

It's their network they can do what they want. 

Return it.

Alternative: cellular WIFI or go to a location in the University where the signal is strong.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

OR turn off wireless and DHCP use it just for as a switch and buy long cat6 cords. mono price = 50 foot cat6 cables for under $8. Shorter length is less

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:30 PM

Short story, their network, their rules.

Go with some sort of wired solution.  As CaveDweller2 said you can get cheap 50 foot cables to run around the dorm room to have a wired connection where you happen to be.  For tablets and other wifi only devices you'll have to invest in your own personal hotspot and connect to that instead of the university network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users