Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kali Linux network problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 smail35

smail35

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:31 AM

Greetings, my Name is Samuel and i am new into Linux . I just installed Kali Linux on my HP (envy) laptop: CPU: AMD A8 , 750 g hdd, 8g ram (windows8)
I installed it with virtual machine player on a hdd partition it works good but when I try to do a pen testing with typing some commands like : airodump-ng wlan0. Or airmon-ng
An error message telling NO SUCH DEVICE. I think it does not detect my network and I could not solve this problem please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

Greetings, my Name is Samuel and i am new into Linux . I just installed Kali Linux on my HP (envy) laptop: CPU: AMD A8 , 750 g hdd, 8g ram (windows8)
I installed it with virtual machine player on a hdd partition it works good but when I try to do a pen testing with typing some commands like : airodump-ng wlan0. Or airmon-ng
An error message telling NO SUCH DEVICE. I think it does not detect my network and I could not solve this problem please help

VirtualBox Information:

I don't believe VirtualBox can currently give you access to your internal wireless card from within the guest. VBox will simply use your existing wireless connection and translate it into a virtual ethernet port, so as far as your guest (Kali) is concerned, you only have a wired connection. You will probably need to purchase a wireless USB adapter and give the guest access to that.

• The ALFA AWUS036H should work fine with VirtualBox and Kali
  • Download and install the appropriate extension pack from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
  • Plug your wireless USB adapter into the computer before starting VirtualBox
  • Open VirtualBox and then navigate to: Machine -> Settings -> USB.  Enable the USB controller and add the adapter to the list (USB icon with a +). Devices in this list will automatically mount with VirtualBox
  • Start Kali and see if the USB devices are correctly mounted. You can manually mount the device by clicking on the "Devices" section of the toolbar and then going into the "USB Devices" menu.

You should now be able to access the wireless adapter from within Kali.

VMWare Player Information:

I don't believe VMWare Player can currently give you access to your internal wireless card from within the guest. VMWare Player will simply use your existing wireless connection and translate it into a virtual ethernet port, so as far as your guest (Kali) is concerned, you only have a wired connection. You will probably need to purchase a wireless USB adapter and give the guest access to that.

You should now be able to access the wireless adapter from within Kali.

Edited by Kaosu, 14 October 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#3 smail35

smail35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

But I saw many people posting videos showing it working perfectly !!!!!

#4 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

But I saw many people posting videos showing it working perfectly !!!!!

You're probably seeing videos where people are using USB adapters or their physical computer. Currently, VirtualBox and VMWare Player don't support wireless virtualization. Your physical wireless card will always show up to the guest as a wired connection. The only way around this (That I know of) is to use a wireless USB adapter and let the guest access that.

Maybe I am not fully understanding you, though. You said you installed Kali using a "virtual machine player on a hdd partition". What exactly do you mean by this?

Edited by Kaosu, 15 October 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#5 smail35

smail35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

hi thank you for your interest

now i understand your response and you are right

i'm using my phisical wireless card and it shows up as a wired connection

i mean that i don't use kali a live cd or usb start but i installed it on my hdd

is there any way to let kali support the physical wireless card..? thanx in advance

#6 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

is there any way to let kali support the physical wireless card..? thanx in advance

I'm afraid not. You only have two viable solutions to this problem:

1. Run Kali on your physical hardware.
  2. Follow my advice in post #2.

Edited by Kaosu, 16 October 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#7 smail35

smail35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

Good I understand the problem clearly
Could you please tell me how can I run kali on my physical hardware and can I run it on a partition from my hdd without formatting My windows ??

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,397 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:49 AM

Could you please tell me how can I run kali on my physical hardware and can I run it on a partition from my hdd without formatting My windows ??

I guess you could dual boot it, mess around with defragmenting Windows messing with partition tools.

Windows 8.1 and Kali Linux dual boot on UEFI mode ...

Or 

Try installing it to USB Stick/Drive, then you can boot your pc from USB Stick/Drive. Safer option IMHO.

Kali Linux Live USB Persistence | Kali Linux Official ...

Edited by NickAu1, 21 October 2014 - 04:55 AM.

#9 smail35

smail35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:59 AM

thank you very much i`m gonna try

#10 Nithiyanantham

Nithiyanantham

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:46 AM

i have leosys usb nano wifi adapter that is connecting kali linux for using airodump mon0 that showing no such device  what else i do for the switching my usb adapter to in monitor mode tell me

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:27 AM

You need to learn how to use aircrack-ng correctly.

You also need to start a new thread, But be warned we wont help you with WiFi hacking.

Edited by NickAu, 05 January 2016 - 04:34 AM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:22 AM

But be warned we wont help you with WiFi hacking.

+1! :thumbup2:

We don't do that here, for the same reasons why we don't assist those who are running known pirated Windows/MS Office/Mac. Our standards are higher than many other forums are, hope that you'll understand. :)

It's kind of hard to assist w/out breaking that policy, advising in detail would certainly be crossing the line. 

Like other Linux distros, Kali likely has a forum for assistance, but even they go only so far, otherwise would be under the radar of Federal law enforcement (in the US). Other governments has their own rules as to what one can & can't do. It's illegal here to be involved with wireless hacking of networks of others, period. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

what else i do for the switching my usb adapter to in monitor mode tell me

airmon-ng

will tell your wifi cardname (wlan0) in most cases

airmon-ng start wlan0

will start the monitor interface (wlan0mon)

Nothing illegal about setting monitor mode, but as far as i can see that wifi device is

prolly not worth the 5 bucks you paid for it. leoxsys is not even listed on the aircrack site.

Like Cat said, the kali forums can provide more info than we are allowed to. Hope that helps.

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=airmon-ng

http://forums.kali.org/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users