Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to create a bootable USB drive for HitmanPro

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Patriotech

Patriotech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:17 AM

- Referencing: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-your-computer-has-been-locked-ransomware

- USB drive formats without incident.

- Accepted HitmanPro 30 day trial offer. 

- Downloaded HitmanPro.exe (32-bit) in preparation to run on the infected Windows XP Home Premium (32-bit)

- Transferred HitmanPro.exe to USB drive.

- Open HitmanPro.exe and clicked on 'kick' icon.

- Selected the only USB drive connected.

- Clicked on "Install Kickstart" but can't get the additional Kickstart files to download and/or write to USB drive.

What am I overlooking? Thanks.

Patriotech

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:42 PM

HitmanPro with Kickstart
How to Create HitmanPro.Kickstart USB flash drive
HitmanPro.Kickstart User Manual
HitmanPro.Kickstart User Manual/Guide
HitmanPro.Kickstart FAQs

You should download the HitmanPro.Kickstart version that corresponds to the bit-type of the Windows version you will be using to download and create the Kickstart USB drive before using it on the infected computer.

This is a quote from one of the developers of HitmanPro.Kickstart...

The Kickstart flash drive always contains both the 32bit and 64bit versions of HitmanPro. During the boot process it is determined what type of Windows is on the (infected) machine, and the proper version of HitmanPro is selected. This way, you can use the same Kickstart flash drive on different versions (32 / 64 bit / XP / Vista / Win7) of Windows.

So during creation of the flash drive it is not important to know what version of Windows is on the infected machine you are about to use the flash drive for.

Hitmanpro on USB FLash drive help? - Post #7 by Edwin Engels (eengels)

If you have specific questions or encounter problems using HitmanPro.Kickstart, please Contact HitmanPro Support directly.

Erik Loman (erikloman) and Edwin Engels (eengels) are two SurfRight Reps. who visit BC on occasion to answer questions and provide assistance.
- Edwin can be contacted by email at edwin@surfright.com
- Erik can be contacted by email at erik@surfright.nl

As SurfRight Reps, they would be far more familiar with any issues encountered using HitmanPro than any of our staff or forum members.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Patriotech

Patriotech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

quietman7

Thanks for your thorough and detailed reply. As a result of reading the referenced material I was able to gen a HitmanPro.Kickstart USB drive.

The obstacle I faced, that prevented HitmanPro from completing the Kickstart build on the USB drive, was an error: "#5, Lock". Once I closed all windows displaying the HitmanPro.exe file data, the process completed as documented. Those windows were Windows Explorer and Task Manager.

Onto the next obstacle. I plugged the USB drive into the infected machine and powered it on while repeatedly tapping F8, for the Boot Options menu only to learn that there was no USB option. The ransomware not only removed "System Restore" from the startup menu, it also removed USB from the Boot Options menu. 'Cutting to the chase' I'm in an email dialogue with SurfRight/HitmanPro.Kickstart support. I'm asking if they can put me onto a CD or procedure to gen a CD with HitmanPro.Kickstart on it. So far I've been directed to the KickStart manual which refers to 3rd party rescue CDs.   

Many thanks for your timely and useful post.

Patriotech

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

You're welcome and good luck.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,938 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

F8 at boot usually will take you to safe mode, not the boot menu for selecting your USB device. What is your computer model, if it is a Dell attach your USB drive to the computer, power on and tap the F12 key. That should get you to the boot menu showing your USB device.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:14 PM

There may be several ways to enter the BIOS screen (Boot Menu) depending on the computer manufacturer. Usually at boot up you will see a screen with some text that says something like "Press X to Enter Startup" where "X" is the F2, F9, or DEL key. With some systems you may need to press the ESC key, F10 or F12 to display the Startup Menu and then press the F2, F9, etc key. Some computers like HP, Dell, Gateway, etc display a message or company logo with the applicable key when it appears.

#7 Patriotech

Patriotech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

Quietman7 and JohnC_21,

Thank you for your support, suggestions, and/or recommendations. They may very well have relevance to the effects of the ransomware that has hijacked this old XP machine of mine.

I'm pushing forward, working with SurfRight technical support believing that the effects of the infection have made it impossible to boot off a HitmanPro gen'd USB flash drive as I have not seen that option on any startup mens.

Currently SurfRight tech. support directed me to code called "xbootsidekick" ISO which when executed gens/burns a CD as bootable which, in turn, starts HitmanPro on the USB flash drive. It works on my Windows 7 and Windows XP (inftected) machines but fails when I respond direct HitmanPro to startup by bypassing the Master Boot Record. It tells me, "Non-NTFS partition or encrypted disk detected". If SurfRight can't help me move beyond this point I may be forced to reformat and reload the OS.

In preparation for rebuilding the XP machine I've been looking into cables/adapters to connect the XP's HDD to my Windows 7 machine in order to pull off MS Outlook files. With the right cable/adapter should I be able to read the infected HDD and if so, what pitfalls must I avoid?

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,

Patriotech 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,938 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

I would be kind of leary attaching that drive to another computer. One thing you could try is using the Kaspersky Rescue DIsk and it's WindowsUnlocker option. It also has a File Manager where you can copy files from the drive to an USB flash drive. It would also be best if you can connect to the internet via a direct Ethernet connection so Kaspersky can update before doing the scan.

Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk. On the Windows 7 computer, right click and select burn image. Boot the Disk and follow these instructions. It gives instructions to boot a USB flash drive if you do not want to boot a disk. When you boot the USB or Disk, open a terminal (command prompt) window and type windowsunlocker. At the next window select 1 unlock windows. After it completes type 0 to exit then run a virus scan.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

Patriotech...if you follow any instructions other than those provided by Edwin or Erik be sure to let them know what you did the next time you are in contact. Any steps or changes you make to the system could cause confusion since they would not be aware unless you advise them.

I'm not insinuating JohnC_21 is doing (saying) anything wrong. It's just from experience we know that sometimes things can go awry when following advice from different sources...one of both not aware of what instructions the other has provided.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,938 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

Sorry, I thought you were done with your technical support questions at Hitman Pro. If you are still interfacing with them, then I would continue to do so and leave my suggestion as the last option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users