Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Load-Balancing and Nodes?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:47 AM

Well, out of curiosity, I've been wondering how websites such as "Mega", "Dropbox", and these file-sharing/sync websites, are able to link the servers together, and create one entity?

If you were hosting ownCloud, for example, since you can't have 100TB of storage on the single server, how would you break it up so that the servers act together? Not syncing, but if the first server HDD is full, it will store other user files into server 2 HDD.

Additionally to this, if a server was over-loading in the ownCloud example (a lot of people accessing first server), how would it load-balance and compensate for data storage at the same time?

mYIGVc5.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

I'm sure you can have over 100TB on a server.  I've got 50TB on my machine, 10 internal drives and another eight attached via USB.  There are many different ways to add storage on a server.  Storage Area Network (SAN) devices are how enterprises handle drive space.  Backblaze uses Storage Pods

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:22 PM

But you wouldn't be linking hundreds of SAN onto one server. So how would you link up multiple other SANs as a storage backend?

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users