Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does my Desktop come out of sleep mode when I bring my laptop out of sleep?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LanceA

LanceA

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:52 PM

Heyo,

Whenever I bring my Laptop out of sleep mode, my Desktop PC is brought out of sleep mode as well. Does anyone know why or how this kind of thing can happen? I'm posting this in the hardware section because I'm assuming it's due to something electrical (well, duh if I think about it). The two are never plugged into the same outlet and I've only observed this happening when they are in the same room (but I have yet to test). Both outlets used by the laptop and PC have power strips with many things plugged in, but only 2-3 devices typically run at a time. I haven't tried this when the two are in different rooms; DELL laptops would never use some sort of over-the-air signal to bring itself out of sleep, would they? That would be bizarre, right?

Anyway, has anyone ever heard of something like this happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:18 AM

Do you have them networked?

If so, then some sort of Wake-on-LAN must be set up, that's my guess.

This may help ... http://www.ehow.com/how_6942595_disable-wake-up-lan.html .

#3 LanceA

LanceA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

I've disabled Wake-on-LAN using the link you provided (it was on), but it's still happening.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

Some BIOSs also have a Wake-on-Lan function. Check the BIOS and disable it there too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users