Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for an easy way to find out which HD is being noisy at bootup.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

I will check out the diagnostic tools referenced here...but is there a simple way to find out which of my 3 HD's is being noisy when the desktop starts.

1 My main 1Tb HD

2 An old 30 Gb HD

3 An older 30 Gb notebook HD

I'm hoping it's #3.

Is there possibly a way to temporarily disable #2 or #3 using my Bios to do a simple 'listening test'? I really don't feel like opening the case up right now.

I'm running Win 8, loaded on HD #1.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oggs

oggs

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:36 PM

Hi

I am no expert here, I'm here for help like you, I think most including me would try and help you, but I think they would prefer to know your machine specs first.

Here's a rough list

CPU`     Type ie  Intel/Amd & /Make /Model

MOBO`` Make/Model

GPU       Make/Model

OS         Linux/Windows   etc.....Type & Version

PSU        Make Model  /Wattage (if known)

Though you should be aware It is going to be almost impossible to Verify, that unless you do take the cover of the machine, that's my guess

Edited by oggs, 13 October 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

The only real way to tell, as all drives will come to a ready state when powered up(unless broken), the power needs to be removed.  Even if the drives are disabled or removed from the BIOS they'll still come ready.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

The only real way to tell, as all drives will come to a ready state when powered up(unless broken), the power needs to be removed.  Even if the drives are disabled or removed from the BIOS they'll still come ready.

This. Drives will spin up and make noise if they have power. Unfortunately you will need to open the case and unplug each drive, then try 1 at a time.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

OK. Thanks.

My  main 1TB drive tested out as having 8 bad sectors(?). Per a test program. I'll dig into it more later. Drives 2 and 3 tested OK.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

You may want to read about SMART data: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Bad blocks often indicate the beginning stage of a failing drive. Not always does it mean it will happen suddenly, I recommend backing up your files frequently at a minimum and possibly considering replacing the drive. I would always recommend frequent cold backups (cold means not always connected to the computer such as an external hard drive). Even with perfectly good hard drives, backups are a good idea.

Which test program did you use?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:32 PM

I used HD Pro.

I already have everything backed up onto a Portable HD. I've learned my lesson.

I'm not at the computer in question now but will try to post the test results later today.

Looks like I'll start shopping for a new 1+ Tb drive.

It's been making the noise for about 4 days at boot up. Very light usage.

Edited by brian2009, 14 October 2014 - 04:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users