Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

transfering data

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:33 PM

HI,This is something i want to do but not quite sure in how to it.

I have (2) HDD'S in my PC 1 has WINXP on it the other has WIN 7 on it.

The WIN7 OS is on a SSHD with a 1TB HDD it has 931GB of free space,the WINXP HDD is full with at about 150GB no free space and from what i have been able ascertain is i can partition the 1TB HDD and transfer the data on the WIXP HDD to the new HDD.

Will the WINXP OS go with the transfer to the new HDD or since they are both on the MOBO that i will not have to transfer the WINXP OS if it is even possible.

I hope this is not too confusing as how i explained it,thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:23 PM

Do you wish to preserve the XP installation?

or just copy the data?

or relocate the whole OS?

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

HI,TsVk!,Well i would like to take every thing that is on the old HDD and transfer it to the new HDD,the data and OS,BUT SINCE THERE are no more patches for WINXP there may be no reason to transfer the WINXP OS and as long as i have access to the data as it is on the WINXP OS.

The reason why there is so much data on the old disk is i thought i transfered on to the new 1TB HDD is i but i did not do right and ended up doubling the amount of data that was on the old disk to back on to itself there by going from about 70GB to 140GB and it is probably not worth the as i can partition the 1TB HDD and put it on a second partition which may give me easier access then going into BIOS and changing boot order,sorry about long post but this the only way i know to explain it,thank you

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

Ok... it appears to me the best solution would be just to copy the files manually.

From within the Win 7 OS create a new directory on your C: drive called oldXP or whatever you want, then navigate to the other HDD and select the Documents and Settings and any other top level folders that are not Windows related... then just copy them over.

I don't know if I am missing something here?

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:34 PM

Well i think i may have started copying "f" drive to "c" drive but will it have a popup to tell that it is finished as right there is no indication as to where i am at right been running about 20 minutes

and have to transfer 140GB of data or there abouts.

#6 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:43 AM

Well i created a folder called oldxp as thats where the original HDD started it shows there is a folder called oldxp but is empty.

You are supposed to be able to cut&paste or copy&cut somewhere i must have missed a step because if oldxp is empty then i would assume that nothing actually transfered but could it have been sent somewhere that i do not know about.

I did try cut&paste but then canceled that,then tried copy&cut but canceled that also as i did want to do what i did last time with 3 copies of my "f"drive,what am i doing wrong.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:03 AM

Copying too much data per chunk. It freaks Windows out when you do that. Try smaller chunks like 10-15 gig at a time.

#8 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:03 AM

So if i understand it if i go to computer and click on files& settings and click on copy&paste or copy will that work.

#9 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

When dealing with that much data it's best to use an after market program for copy/paste are known to stop in the middle and you don't know where you left or stopped. Such things I recommend would be this:

http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

Unstoppable Copy. Any files it can't copy it skips and keeps going and will show you what it skipped and where it's located and sometimes why. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:42 PM

So if i understand it if i go to computer and click on files& settings and click on copy&paste or copy will that work.

It may work, but it may just freak the machine out. I like Ivy's suggestion.

#11 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

HI,In theory it should work,but as i was doing it the amount on my "f" drive did not come even when i used the cut option from i gather when you use the cut option it totally removes it from the

send side to the receiving side,how about using a 64gb thumb drive.

I went to link above and see how it get this done the problem i am having is when you try to transfer all thats on a HDD except the OS ill go to link and see how it is used if i could find my baseball bat i could fix this little problem real quick,thanks

#12 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:16 PM

Well i went into the link above and got UN/PW and brought up the program and put the source and target clicked copy and it said if i continued all the data on the target HDD would be erased

at least i was to stop and cancel before any damage was done i may have been in wrong part of the program.

#13 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:41 PM

this what came up when i tried to use roadkil raw copy.

It said that if i tried to transfer from my source disk to my target disk it would erase all of what was on target,all i want to do is transfer from disk to another disk.HI,I just into roadkil raw copy to transfer 139GB from my source to my target and a popup saying that all of the data on target will erased which is not what i even want to do,i want add to whats already on the target disk or is it not even possible to do this.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

To be honest I'm not sure what the issue is, it is very hard without being there.... it does seem strange.

Perhaps try one of these recent file copy utilities rather.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-copy-utility.htm

#15 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

HI,TsVk!,I just went into you tube and there a video on how to a transfer and one the things he mention was that one had to be the slave and one had to be the master could this be why it is not working he was using ACRONIUS  program,i have not shut my PC down yet to see how jumpers are set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users