Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying ad

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 david1940

david1940

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

I'm new to this site and hope you can help me.  I have recently acquired an annoying ad that runs down the right side (usually) of the screen.  (Lots of hints to buy boots from Macy's!!) It is about 1 to 2 inches wide and is most noticeable in my email as it covers up some of the message.  I have noticed it across the top of some sites.  My granddaughter used my computer to download and copy some weird picture last week and that could be the cause of this.  So far I have tried to uninstall unwanted things (barely know what I am doing!), run my system cleaner and defrag program.  My computer is 2 yrs old, desktop and up to now, no problems. 

Thanks for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:08 PM

G'day David , and Welcome to BC.

Your granddaughter was probably just unlucky enough to be "sideswiped" by one of those sites. it happens to all of us at one time or another.

Please run these for me in the order listed......copy and paste the log they produce in your reply

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
    Checkmark the following checkboxes:
    Flush DNS
    Report IE Proxy Settings
    Reset IE Proxy Settings
    Report FF Proxy Settings
    Reset FF Proxy Settings
    List content of Hosts
    List IP configuration
    List Winsock Entries
    List last 10 Event Viewer log
    List Installed Programs
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
    Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
    Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
 * Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
 * Vista / Windows 7 / 8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
 * Click on the Scan button (only once)
 * AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
 * After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
* Check the removals and see if you are OK with the list.

* Now
 * Click on the Clean button (only once)
 * Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
 * Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
 * After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
 * Copy and Paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.

* A copy of all logfiles are also saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 david1940

david1940
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for replying!  Now I feel guilty, tho, because David is my beloved older brother's name.  Gone too soon.  I'm just a befuddled old woman of 72.  I will attempt to follow your instructions and let you know how I do!

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:49 PM

My pleasure !....

you can post the logs back individually or all at once....your choice.

Any problems....just let me know

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 david1940

david1940
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:04 PM

Dadgummit!  This is the third time I'm replying!  I keep losing my posts!  Anyway, thank you so much for all you have given me but I am just not able to understand what to do.  I was unable to copy and paste the log from Screen317.  That should give you an idea of how totally inept I am with computers.  I am going to have my more computer literate cousin look at what you have posted here and see if he can help.  Thank you SO very much for trying!  I'd love to come to Australia someday--like for the Australian Open in tennis.

David's sister

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

That's ok....there is no hurry....take your time.

....and the Australia Open would love to have you !!

Brian

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:46 PM

Dadgummit!  This is the third time I'm replying!  I keep losing my posts!

At least one of those "posts" vanished because you used the report button instead of adding a reply.

~ OB :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users