Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove PC Repair virus self-help feedback

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MickyLee3

MickyLee3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

I just successfully removed the "Windows PC repair" virus using your instructions.   i have some feedback for you.

In the Safe Mode - networking, I was unable to download anything.  So, I rebooted and downloaded all first.  That was a problem because the virus kept intervening,  I noticed everytime it did that, a new window opened up trying to sell something.  I learned I could close that window first then do the download.  In the end I got everything downloaded then returned to the Safe Mode - networking.

In retrospect after the virus was removed, I found a network option in the Firefox network options was set to "Use system proxy settings" which did not work.  When I changed it to "No Proxy", all worked as you'd expect.  So, I fear the virus changed that setting to protect itself.

Ironically, RKill found nothing, and the TDSS removal tool named iexplore.exe reported nothing too.

I then installed Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and scanned the system.  It found and quarantined almost 60 objects.

One thing was very disconcerting:  the user interface after the scan completed seems to have changed enough to make me uncomfortable.  I began to wonder if I had downloaded a fake malware program.

Please consider updating your self-help guide so it shows the current version.  I have version 2.0.2 1012.  The scan results list isn't the same.

However, that virus appears to be gone from my PC now. :bananas:

i was an applications programmer on mainframes, midrange and PCs and a network administrator.  I am blown away at how vicious the malware has become.  Unbelievable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users