Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java, Junkware, Ask toolbar....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

http://www.howtogeek.com/198240/avoid-javas-ask-toolbar-installations-with-this-one-weird-registry-hack/

“Hey, IT people — stop complaining about the Ask Toolbar. Use this hidden option and let us keep foisting this crap software on normal users’ computers, okay?”

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:30 PM

Less than 1 in 1000 websites using Java these days... and steadily dropping.

http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/cp-javaruntime/all/all

No reason to install this shocking vulnerability, and every reason to uninstall it.

#3 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:26 AM

Look on the bright side: the Java installer seems to be the only Ask-bearing installer that actually honours your decision to not install it.  Pretty much anything else I've got hold of that wants to put down Ask will do it and ignore your decision to not install it.

Seriously though, I don't understand why a major corporation such as Oracle - who makes a major industry-standard RDBMS system - would want to partner anything like this.

The software we use at work requires the JRE and JDK to be installed (not the browser-based Java) and it is absolutely riddled with bugs.  New versions are coming out all the while to address security issues and the like, and you just cannot keep up.

On one occasion, they rewrote the entire security model and pushed it through as a minor release(!)

But great articles, will put it into practice.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:52 PM

I have posted the below information before...but for those you may have missed it, here you go.

Using Java is an unnecessary security risk...especially using older versions which have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.

Although Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.

I recommend just uninstalling Java if you don't use it.
* How to Completely Remove Java Using JavaRa
* How do I uninstall Java on my Windows machine?
* Information about the Java Uninstall Tool for Windows

If you're going to use Java, many security researchers and computer security organizations caution users to limit their usage and to disable Java Plug-ins or add-ons in your browsers.

If you need Java for a specific Web site, consider adopting a two-browser approach. If you normally browse the Web with Firefox, for example, consider disabling the Java plugin in Firefox, and then using an alternative browser (Chrome, IE9, Safari, etc.) with Java enabled to browse only the site(s) that require(s) it.

Krebs On Security: ...Java

To defend against this and future Java vulnerabilities, consider disabling Java in web browsers until adequate updates are available. As with any software, unnecessary features should be disabled or removed as appropriate for your environment.

US CERT: Disable Java in web browsers

* How to disable Java Plug-ins or add-ons in common web browsers .
* How to turn off Java on your browser

Also make sure you are using the most current version. As noted above, older unpatched versions of Java and other popular software like Adobe (Reader, Flash Player, Shockwave Player) Apple iTunes, Quick Time, VLC Media Player all are vulnerable to exploits and require frequent updating with security patches or you increase the risk of system infection.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 BitMonk

BitMonk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

Thanks to the above information I had been uninstalling JAVA on any PC I come across here at work. Users are constantly accessing various job related sites, (insurance, state sites) and so far no one has had problems. However, yesterday an office mate went on a State site that required JAVA. It even said not to install the latest version! We did anyway. Good ole Peoples republic of Illinois.
My opinion would be best not have JAVA at all but at least always have the very latest version.

RE: crapware. Even Adobe wants to give you Chrome when you download the latest reader.

Edited by BitMonk, 17 October 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

...at least always have the very latest version.

Yes and that best practice applies to any vulnerable software...(i.e. Web Browsers, Acrobat Reader, Flash Player, Shockwave Player, Windows Media Player, etc)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users