Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC can connect to my access point, but can't get to the internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tbbrown

tbbrown

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:30 PM

I can't get my wife's laptop to connect to the internet.  Here's what I've tried so far...

• Ran McAfee Internet Security to check for viruses and MalWare.  It reported 2 potential PUPs and quarantined them
  • Ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  It found 4 potential PUPs and quarantined them
  • I've reset the TCP/IP stack using netsh
  • I've made sure the hosts file has not been modified
  • I've verified the DNS settings
  • I've checked the startup list for this system and made sure I know what everything is, and disabled anything I didn't recognize
  • I've removed the network adapters from my wife's system and let Windows reinstall them
  • I've disabled wireless and just tried wired
  • I've reset the computer and router countless times throughout all this
  • I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things that I've tried...

I have another laptop and two smart phones attached to the same router/modem which are working fine.  I can ping my wife's system and her system can ping mine.  Her system can see our network printer.  Any attempts to try and access a website gets "This page can't be displayed" message in Internet Explorer and Firefox just sits at a "New Tab" and doesn't give any error message.

Any thoughts on additional things to try?

Thanks,

-T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tbbrown

tbbrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

I'm going to try doing a repair install of Windows 7 over the top of my current image...  Can't think of anything else to try.  if this doesn't work I'm going to officially be at a loss...  

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:06 PM

You reset the TCP/IP stack. Did you reset Winsock? Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

#4 tbbrown

tbbrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:42 PM

No yellow bangs in Device Manager, everything is giving the appearance of working properly...I just can't get to the internet using IE, Firefox or via any application to perform an update (i.e. Malwarebytes can't get out to do a database update).

I have not tried resetting the Winsock, but will do that.  Just got my Win 7 image to burn properly to a DVD, so will try that after the Winsock reset...

Thanks

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:34 AM

Is Mcafee a trial or paid version? Was it previously or just newly installed before the problem occured?

Tekken

#6 tbbrown

tbbrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:38 PM

The McAfee is a fully paid version and has been installed for quite a while.  

The Winsock reset seems to have done the trick.  Once I did that, I'm back up and running and accessing the internet again.  I would not have thought to do that if it had not been brought up...Winsock is not something I've had to deal with for a very long time! :)  Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users