Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Homepage Change Help?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lutves

lutves

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 07:06 PM

just a few days ago i got that "your computer is infected" balloon also with the spyware thing and kept poping up stuff...however i do not know which of the things i should delete because i dont know what i have(ive read the other things concerning this) at the moment ive gotten the annoying popup balloons and ads to stop...i am still not sure if its gone or not but, my homepage has been set to this http://www.safetyuptodate.net/ and i have changed it yet it still shows that..i have been dealing with this issue for the last two days any sort of help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:40 AM

Step 1

Download SmitfraudFix.zip from the following link:

SmitFraudFix
Extract the files to your desktop. There should be a folder named SmitFraudFix on your desktop.

Step 2

Reboot into safe mode:
Restart the computer
Immediately begin tapping the key.
Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode and press the key.

Step 3

Afetr your computer starts up, make sure all windows are closed and open the SmitFraudFix folder on your desktop. Double-click SmitFraudFix.cmd. Press any key to get to the menu screen.

Step 4

Press 2 and then enter. The program will begin cleaning your computer.

Step 5

When Disk Cleanup is finished, you will be presented with an option asking "Do you want to clean the registry ? (y/n)." At this screen you should press the Y button on your keyboard and then press the enter key.

Step 6

Please allow your computer to reboot when you are prompted.

Step 7

Please download ewido anti-malware it is a free version of the program.
  • Install ewido anti-malware
  • When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck..
    • Install background guard
    • Install scan via context menu
  • Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop, double-click it.
  • The program will now open to the main screen.
  • When you run ewido for the first time, you may get a warning "Database could not be found!". Click OK. We will fix this in a moment.
  • You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
    • On the left hand side of the main screen click update.
    • Then click on Start Update.
  • The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
    (the status bar at the bottom will display ("Update successful")
If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido.
ewido manual updates

Once the updates are installed, do the following:
  • Reboot into safe mode:
    Restart the computer
    Immediately begin tapping the key.
    Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode and press the key.
  • Click on scanner
  • Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
  • You will be prompted to clean the first infection.
  • Select "Perform action on all infections", then proceed.
  • Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
  • Click Save report.
  • Save the report .txt file to your desktop or a location where you can find it easily.
  • Reboot into normal mode.
Close ewido anti-malware.

If this doesn't fix the problem then I suggest posting a HijackThis log in the HJT Logs and Analysis Forum. Here is a link to that Forum:

HJT Forum

Please follow the preparation directions and try not to alter your system until you receive help from one of our HJT Team Members. The preparation directions are found at the following link:

Prep Guide for Posting HJT Logs

Please note: Do not try to fix any problems with HJT yourself. This is an advanced tool and requires expert analysis.

I hope this helps you out!
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,584 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:14 AM

After following Harry83's instructions and completing the last step, I recommend you do the following as well:

Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

or you can download this tool before you start and run it while in safe mode just before doing the Ewido scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 pbjmaker

pbjmaker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:06 AM

I was having the same problem with my computer and used these steps. Thank goodness it worked. I had my other computer take a dive on me and then this one got stuck on that stupid malware - I have learned ALOT about computers in the last couple of days.
Thanks again.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,584 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:15 AM

Glad to hear that your problem is resolved pbjmaker. :thumbsup:

Now don't forget to SET A NEW RESTORE POINT to prevent reinfection from an old restore point. Any malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to set a new RESTORE POINT:
1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
2. Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
3. Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
4. Click "OK".
5. Click the "More Options" Tab.
6. Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users