Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc antivirus protection opinions

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 paulos123

paulos123

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:14 PM

hello guys im opening this topic cause last days i got infected and you all know that its annoying,for me its better to have a good real time protection cause after you get infected there are some good tools and scanners to delete the viruses,the point is not to get infected.

the best think you can do is of course to read quietman7 topics about protection,there are some good combos.

everybody in this topic is free to tell their opinions and suggest protection combos.pc protection is important for everybody.

me personally i believe that the best are kaspersky and bitdefender internet security(antiv/antispyware/firewall)but heavy for the system.

comodo,outpost,and emsisoft also have great firewall protection to use.(example comodo firewall+kaspersky antivirus)

also other option is to use a good internet security and malwarebytes pro or emsisoft antimalware(real time combo)

also eset is a good chooise but not as effective as the others.

quitetman7 i know that when you ll read this topic you ll sugest us the same (windows firewall and eset nod 32 and emsisoft and malwarebytes)i dont know,maybe you are stuck with thoose ideas or cause you are a microsoft consumer security you support these options always.

no disrespect though,i learned a lot from you,just let this topic open for people to make their suggestions and talk about their experiences,its important,cause what you offer is good but because everybody here is interested in pc protection we need a topic like this..............

thanks,with respect to the site and quietman7,

pavlos.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

hello guys im opening this topic cause last days i got infected and you all know that its annoying,for me its better to have a good real time protection cause after you get infected there are some good tools and scanners to delete the viruses,the point is not to get infected.

Hello paulos123:

Perhaps the best reason that quietman7 makes the recommendations he does is that through his formal training and extensive experience in malware removal, from the systems of others, he has learned that those of us who run the products he does, will always be the least likely to be attacked and infected.

Yes. Good prevention is always far superior than cure.

Thank you for respecting quietman7 and Bleeping Computer. We do too.

Edited by 1PW, 13 October 2014 - 04:02 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

i agree with you 1pw,its kust that in other sites people suggest other software for scans and real time protection,and since everydody here know just a little bit and through their experience they can make some suggestions.

p.s also quietman7 can be a part of this conversation.........

i know that there is no one size fit protection for computers but 'nobody' can convince me that with windows firewall and eset nod32 im perfect

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

Perhaps the best reason that quietman7 makes the recommendations he does is that through his formal training and extensive experience in malware removal, from the systems of others, he has learned that those of us who run the products he does, will always be the least likely to be attacked and infected.

That is a good assessment of my primary reason (and for many of the BC staff) to personally use and recommend both ESET and Emsisoft. Therefore, when posters ask our opinion about security protection we tend to all provide the same recommendations. However, it does not mean that other anti-virus solutions like Bitdefender and Kaspersky are not any good or that folks should not use them. As I always say sometimes folks need to experiment and find what works best for their system.

With that said it has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

Earlier this year, Bromium published “Endpoint Protection: Attitudes and Opinions,” a statistical analysis of more than 300 information security professionals. The results revealed that endpoints are vulnerable, anti-virus is ineffective and end users are a weak link.

End Users Remain Biggest Security Headache as Compromised Endpoints Increase

...falling victim to data breaches that resulted from attackers exploiting employees or company vendors. Unfortunately, along with exposing millions of identities these attacks also reveal what is often the weakest link in enterprise data security – the human element...

Social Engineering: Attacking the Weakest Link in the Security Chain

Recent surveys confirm that nadve users and risky online behavior make users a significant threat to their own networks...The risk of employees introducing malware to the company network was cited as a major concern by more than half of those surveyed. Nearly three-fourths stated that their network has been penetrated by malware as a result of Web surfing, and almost two-thirds declared that they had been compromised through email, just in the past year...

Studies prove once again that users are the weakest link in the security chain

How many users access spam emails, click on the links found within, and open attachments intentionally? Why are they doing it, and who are they holding responsible for the spread of malware and spam in general...
* Nearly half of those who have accessed spam (46%) have done so intentionally...
* Four in ten (43%) say that they have opened an email that they suspected was spam
* Among those who have opened a suspicious email, over half (57%) say they have done so because they weren’t sure it was spam and one third (33%) say they have done so by accident
* Less than half of users (48%) hold themselves personally responsible for stopping these threats

Millions of users open spam emails, click on links

2013 was a wildly visible year for cyber security and online privacy...And yet for all the visibility, punditry, and drama, new data suggests that internet users are still terrible at choosing a good password...

It’s 2014 And Our Passwords Aren’t Getting Better

Therefore, security begins with personal responsibility and following Best Practices for Safe Computing.

Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone can have.

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:58 PM

Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:
* What is the best antivirus protection?
* What's the best premium security suite in the market currently?
* Recommend a good free antivirus program
* Which antivirus and malware programs should I use together?
* Antivirus Solution?

#6 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

all im saying is that we could open a topic that every user writes down the security setup he is using right now,we ll see a lot of combos and interesting ideas......

just a thought......

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:48 PM

All are welcome and anyone can provide their personal preferences in this topic which asks for opinions.

In fact, we have had polls about this very subject:
* Poll: Best Antivirus and Firewall
* Best Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware/On-Demand Scanner

#8 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

nice

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

:thumbup2:

#10 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:14 PM

i personally use these

eset nod32
comodo firewall
winpatrol
sandboxie(i can also use comodo's)

or none of the above and only eset smart security(before sometime)

scanners:malwarebytes free,,hitmanpro,comodo cleaning essentials,emisoft kit,eset smart installer,kaspersky rescue disk.

also except of malwarebytes,which program can i use as realtime with eset?(antimalware)(not emsisoft is heavy for me)

also i would like to hear some opinions about using emsisoft firewall.....
thanks

Edited by paulos123, 13 October 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#11 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

so quietman7 said we can use this topic for exchanging ideas,so what is everybodys security setup?

mine comodo firewall with eset nod32 and winpatrol.

feel free everybody to talk about your security setup also about previous experiences with antivirus programs.

thanks

Edited by paulos123, 13 October 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:09 AM

i personally use these

eset nod32
comodo firewall
winpatrol
sandboxie(i can also use comodo's)

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

The above setup is fine, however I prefer to use Windows built-in Firewall.

#13 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

:thumbup2:

What do you think about VooDooShield?I am trying this now with Emsisoft MBAM and Online Armor.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

VoodooShield uses a proprietary proactive whitelist approach to virus protection....it only permits whitelisted programs to run and blocks all other programs that are not whitelisted. Once installed, VoodooShield blocks all executable code, then lets the user determine whether to block, sandbox or allow a program to run.

...The program takes a snapshot of the system in that time to allow software that is already on the computer to run without issues. This means that the system needs to be clean and without malware, as malware would be permitted to run as well if already present on the system. Once you flip the switch and turn VoodooShield on, it will block all new programs automatically from running on the system. You do get a notification whenever that happens and an option to run that program and make an exception....The free version of the program is limited. It does not provide you with options to change advanced settings, for instance directories that you want blacklisted or whitelisted, or manage the whitelist in any way. This is a serious problem as you have no control or even access to the whitelist to check whether a program is in it or not....

VoodooShield Review

There is a lenghty ongoing discussion in this Wilderssecurity topic.

#15 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:00 PM