Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard gone missing after upgrade to 4.2.2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hogesinwa

hogesinwa

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Location:Crossed the Atlantic, via Havana. Now in Tampa Bay area for a while.
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

I just managed to get the software update that's been nagging me to download it to install.  Prior to this, it downloaded twice and failed to install twice.  Not unexpected but irritating nonetheless.

This time, the download started by itself when I was on a wifi connection, so I let it run.  It seemed to install reasonably well, apart from error messages on some things.

However, now I find myself with a tablet where the keyboard won't appear on any search or any opportunity for input. Nowhere to be seen. Can't type anything.

Any ideas where this has disappeared to?

Nothing really surprises me anymore with this pile of ....

But I would like to at least use it to read my magazines even if it is not capable of anything remotely advanced.

Advice appreciated.

Hoges

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

What make and model of tablet and what keyboard? Google, OEM, 3rd party?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

Sorry - it was under my sig and I didn't pick  it up on a Copy from Word where I drafted this.

Galaxy Tab Model : 2 10.1
Galaxy Tab Number : GT-P5100
Android Version : 4.0.3 ICS   NOW 4.2.2 after this "upgrade"

Also getting two other errors (so far)

Unfortunately, Memo has stopped"

and

Unfortunately Samsung Push Services has stopped.

Cleared the data from both but it's made no difference at all.

thanks

Hoges

#4 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

I've been hunting around this p.o.c. and it would seem that the Keyboard has gone missing in the laughingly-termed "upgrade" to 4.2.2.

No keyboard = no possibility of any input, including not being able to access anything in the Google Play Store.

Can anyone advise how to get a new keyboard from the Play Store into the correct folder/place on the Samsung so that it can again operate?

I have done two hard-resets and wiped everything off it yet again and no keyboard emerges from the swamp that is this tablet.

Also, I am still getting the error message that Memo has stopped, but maybe this has to do with no keyboard being available also?  Just guessing.

I think I will do what someone in another forum suggested and just use it as an e-Reader for my Zinio magazines and then get a proper tablet.

My laptop recognises the Tablet so getting something from one to the other would seem to be doable if I knew what to get, where to get it and then where to put it on the Tab.

Hoges

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:42 AM

Are you able to navigate to Google Play and download a 3rd party keyboard to allow you to troubleshoot? Such as Google Keyboard or Swiftkey?

The memo app you refer to is known as S memo. You might try unistalling and reinstalling.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

Probably could.  I'm not on the boat at the moment, I'm over on shore using wi-fi.  I can connect the Tablet to my Laptop OK.

Can you tell me where to place the keyboard when I get it?

Thanks

Hoges

#7 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Back on board.

Can't access the Play Store from the Laptop - knows that it's not a device that's accessing it.

Can't access it from the Tablet because I can't type anything.

Caught between a rock and a hard place.

Is there any way to type from the laptop onto the Tablet when it's connected?

Just curious because I can't see any other way to do it.

#8 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

FWIW, I do have Kies installed and it does recognise the Tablet.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

What account are you using to view Google Play on the laptop? Is it the same account as the tablet? If not thats why it doesn't see the associated hardware with the account.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:06 AM

Rechecked what I'd done and couldn't see anything wrong.  However, I linked the tablet to the laptop before signing into Google Play this time and it say it just fine, so it looks like it has to be there first, not connected later.

Found Swift and Google keyboards.  Installed the Google one first.  Said it was compatible with my device, "No Carrier P5100".  Clicked Install.  Congratulated me and said it would install soon. 

Didn't.  No sign of it anywhere, in Apps screens or in Apps Manager.

Did the same with the Swift keyboard.  Same process, same Congratulations message, same result - nowhere to be seen. Both say "Installed" if I return to them on Google Play.  Both show up under my Google Play list of purchased Apps.  Neither appears on the tablet.  Neither appears as an option in "Language and Input"

Any ideas where they could be hiding? 

There are no apps showing in my "SD Card" column.  They do not show in my "All" column.

I do notice that in the "Running" column, Samsung Keyboard shows up as Running one process and one service, using 8.8 or 9 meg.  It continually cycles to "Restarting" but then shows No Process, only the 1 Service and restarts again and again.

Recommendations?

thanks for the input.

Hoges

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

I have Swiftkey keyboard myself on my HTC One M7. I'm looking for the Swiftkey folder with ES File Explorer and I'm not finding it. I'll look again later when I don't have so many interruptions. But this is weird. Since you have done two resets already I'm at a loss here myself.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#12 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:23 AM

Found the Sammobile d/l of my 4.2.2 and Odin.  Took me a while to get my head around it (fair go, I'm over 60) but finally managed to get it to run and got a Pass!

Tab now back in working order it seems.  I have a keyboard again.

Thanks to all for chipping in with suggestions.

Hoges

#13 Kewbla

Kewbla

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

In future you can also locate an .apk file of a keyboard you want and pop that on the sd card to install

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users