Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc Defrag Is Not Working

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 vicmax

vicmax

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

Hi

Everytime i attempt to run a disc defrag it produces a pop-up box saying error can not run. The programme itself loads fine,the error comes when you try to defrag or annalyze. Does anyone know of any ideas why this is happening or how to resolve it?
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:19 AM

I'm sorry to say that I can't help with the problem, but I can suggest a solution that should work better. I recently downloaded Diskeeper Lite, and I love it! The MS defrag uint would analyze my hdd and say that it didn't need to be defraged, this is a new hdd so I didn't worry about until I had been using it for three months and it still said the same. I downloaded the Diskeeper and it emmidiately suggested that I defrag my hdd, it took quite a while, but after it was done I ran it again as suggested and it was very short, and afterwards my computer was running faster.

Diskeeper is freeware and can be downloaded here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 vicmax

vicmax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:15 PM

Thanks dc3, i will give it ago :thumbsup:

In the meantime though,if anyone knows how to sort my original problem out, please let me know. Even if i never use the windows defrag again, it would be nice to know it works.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

How much free space do you have on the drive you are attempting to defrag?
How often do you defrag? Did you run checkdisk first? Do you get the error message right when you hit the "defrag" button, or slightly afterwards?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 vicmax

vicmax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

High there, I have 10gig of free space remaining. I have not run check disc to be honest.Im at work now so i will try tonight. The message appears straight away. I downloaded the other defrag programme recommended, and you guessed it....its doing exactly the same thing.Aghhhhhhh :thumbsup:

I would usually run a defrag every 2-3 months or so.
This is annoying.

Thanks for getting back to me though,anymore ideas?

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:21 PM

What operating system? if you're unning 98 or ME, try using safe mode to defrag, something running in the background will prevent it from running, if you're on XP, then try running disc check first, then reboot and try to defrag, Vopt is another very good defrag prog. it's not free but it does have a 30 day trial
http://www.vopt.com/
it's worth the money to me personally

Edited by Joe C, 13 June 2006 - 12:21 PM.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:40 PM

Diskeeper is "virtually" the same application as the Windows Defrag in XP. You should have approximately 15 percent of your hard drive "free" for it to work. I would suggest you run checkdisk first and then attempt to defrag in safe mode. Let us know if this works.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 vicmax

vicmax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:17 PM

Ok, ive done everything you have all suggested but to no avail! :thumbsup:

Im running windows XP home edition.

I just dont know whats gone off. Im not infected and i have not done anything (that i can recall) to trigger it!

Is there anyway to fix it without a Windows Cd??? I hope so!

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:00 AM

Ok, ive done everything you have all suggested but to no avail!

As was explained to you earlier in this thread, you must at LEAST 15% of your hard drive free for defrag to work. The most common reason for it suddenly to stop working is that hard drives fill up and there is not enough free space for defrag to work.

You mentioned earlier that you have 10 Gigs free, well, that is only half of the equation. Is that more than 15%??? How big is your hard drive in total?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 vicmax

vicmax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:23 AM

My hard-drive is 20gig,so 50% free to use,strange eh! :thumbsup:

#11 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:57 PM

Have you tried doing a system restore?
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:45 PM

Windows System Restore will probably not be the cure in this situation because it works by restoring a backup point that existed before the problem began. Unless you know when the problem began and have a restore poit predating the beginning of the problem it won't work.

Take the PC off line (unplug it from the internet) and stop all unnecessary background programs from running including your av ap and anti-malware aps.

Then run defrag. Once you start it do not do anything else - do not even touch the mouse, in fact, place it upside down so vibrations can't even start it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 June 2006 - 05:48 PM.

#13 Mr Smooth

Mr Smooth

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:19 PM

Please post the exact message that it comes up with.

you are using Windows Xp, got to the event viewer in start>Control Panel>Administrator Tools>event Viewer and look in the logs to see if there is an error message which corresponds to the disk defrag error. it may have a code that can be looked up.

Are you logged on as an administrator?

Another thing you can do is put your hard drive in another pc as a second drive, or in a USB enclosure and use that to defrag it. If you are getting the same error, you know that its something wrong with the disk.

In the olden days you used to have to use scandisk to check the disk first for errors, so you can use chkdsk instead or right click on the drive > properties > tools > error checking. Tick both options and it will tell you that you cant do it now but it will do it on restart. Agree to it and restart your computer.

Then try and defrag again.

Just a few ideas..... Hope this helps. please post back.

#14 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

OK you are running Win XP Home. Do you have Service Pack 2 installed?

Also do you have the Windows XP Home install disk or recovery software?

Please download this from Microsoft and run it on your computer
Filename = WGADiag2.exe
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
Press "Copy to clipboard" and post the results here

#15 vicmax

vicmax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:27 PM

Hi and sorry it has taken so long to get back to everyone. I followed everyones suggestions to no result. I am running service pack 2.
Heres the list you ask for. This is really annoying now :thumbsup: ,but i do appreciate your help

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
--------------------
Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
X
X
X
Windows Product ID Type: 2
Windows License Type: OEM SLP
Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
Download Center code: Expired code.
X
Is Admin: Yes
AutoDial: No
Registry: 0x0
WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.0.
Signature Type: Microsoft.
Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 100
Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
Active scripting: Allowed
Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>777dc319-9b83-4598-9c7c-81339b3064c7</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JFP8W</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2111907-00111</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3784137826-2942328611-1021817841</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>S3000-X4</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Version>V1.00</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20011020000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>TOSHIBA,TOSHIBA</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>E3A83D07018400B6</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{901B0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Word 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>1B1F876D9D78E4A</Val><Hash>d0Dg7sDCY5epDjQgHcMXV0J7II4=</Hash><Pid>54189-753-6494453-16829</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Mod Edit: Personal info edited out to protect your privacy.

Edited by Papakid, 20 June 2006 - 10:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users