Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound after changing advanced settings

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cable2001

Cable2001

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:12 AM

Whelp, I really did it this time.

On my new work computer I didn't like the sound quality so was looking to improve it. I went into the Sound settings from the Control Panel, double clicked on the Speakers/Headphones to bring up the properties, clicked on the Advanced tab, and under the default format noted that it wasn't at the highest setting [24-bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality)]. That seemed like it might improve things so I changed it and hit apply. It locked up and never let go and eventually crashed. After that, no more sound.

Of course, I tried going back and restoring the default settings but no joy. Every time I try I get the error Format not supported by the device. I tried every single setting in there and they all return the same error. I've done multiple restarts, performed system restore twice, reinstalled the Realtek High Definition Audio drivers, restarted the Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services, and even tried editing the registry to remove Default Launch Permission (found that as a suggestion on two different Google searches).

I'm pretty much out of ideas. Anyone have something else I can try?

System:

Dell Latitude E5540

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,042 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

Hello,

Not sure if this will work but check this page. Go the the 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Audio\SoftwareMixer]

registry key and look at the SampleRate subkey. If you do not see a value of 0xAC44 change it to that. The decimal equivalent is 44100

"SampleRate"=dword:AC44

#3 Cable2001

Cable2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

I don't have [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Audio\SoftwareMixer]

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,042 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:16 AM

Have you tried changing the sample rate using the Realtek HD manager in Control Panel?

#5 Cable2001

Cable2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

I don't have that either. Maybe that's the issue, I'll see if I can download it.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,042 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:19 AM

You need to set Control Panel to small or large icons instead of Category View. It should show up then.

#7 Cable2001

Cable2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

I'm always set to small icons.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,042 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:25 AM

Go to Device Manager. Right Click your sound device. Select properties. Under the details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post. Did you download the driver from Realteks site?

#9 Cable2001

Cable2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0292&SUBSYS_102805E0&REV_1000

I got the driver from the Dell website.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,042 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

The Vendor is Realtek but the Device code that identifies the Realtek chipset does not look like a standard Realtek chipset. If you go to Pcidatabase.com Ven_10EC is realtek but the Device code of 0292 is not available. I don't know if this was some special chip that Dell requested or not.

You can try downloading and installing the Realtek HD audio driver here but I can't say if it will work or not.

What is the model number of the Dell? I may be able to find what the sound chip number is.

64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1 Driver only (Executable file) R2.75 2014/5/21 122738k

Edit: I was able to track down the Realtek chipset - ALC3226 which seems to be Dell specific so the above driver I linked to probably will not work. I will have to investigate it further.

Edit Edit: I am going to have to download the Realtek driver and see if the code you posted is in the inf file which I don't believe it will be.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 October 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#11 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hello

Having worked for Dell in prehistoric times, I will tell you that in many cases Dell uses proprietery drivers and it is best to use Only them.

I would suggest the following steps.

Since Your system is late 2013
Visit: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-e5540-laptop/diagnose

Click the Warranty link and enter your Service Tag or Express Service Code (Can be found on a tag usually on the underside of the laptop or in the BIOS/Setup configuration). You can also click Detect My Product and agree to the software installation. See if your system may still be under warranty entitling you to tech support from Dell. If it is, you have another option of contacting them for support.

If you want to try it on your own...
Click the Drivers and downloads link, look for Audio and download (To Your Desktop) the Realtek ALC3226 High Definition Audio Driver. (Exact filename: Audio_Driver_DMXXD_WN_6.0.1.5988_A06.EXE)

Open Control Panel > System > Device Manager > View > Show hidden devices.
Expand Sound video and game controllers, one at a time Right click each entry under Sound video and game controllers and Uninstall. If the Confirm Device Uninstall includes Delete the driver software for the device, Tick the box and click OK. When finished removing all the devices in the category, the Sound video and game controllers category will no longer be visible in Device Manager. Minimize (do not close the window).

Open Control Panel > Programs and Features. Verify that there are no entries for software or drivers associated with your sound device. If you see any please uninstall them. Close Programs and Features.

Maximize the Device Manager Window. Highlight the first item in the Device Manager list. Click Action on the toolbar and click Scan for hardware changes. Windows will react by installing known and unknown entries. When finished close all windows until you are back to your desktop.

Find and execute the downloaded file: Audio_Driver_DMXXD_WN_6.0.1.5988_A06.EXE

Restart the system when the installation finishes.

Your sound should be working flawlessly

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,042 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

I would have to agree with old rocker on this. I downloaded the Realtek HD audio driver and looked throught the Dell.inf file. Device 0262 was there but not the subsystem.

#13 Cable2001

Cable2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:31 AM

I am hesitant to comply! lol

Before these last two replies, I followed John's link and downloaded the drivers from the Realtek website, installed them, and sound is back! I have the Realtek HD manager and everything. I'm worried if I try to install the Dell one again it might break. Everything is working perfectly so I'm thinking I should I leave well enough alone...

And I am never changing those bloody settings again!

Thank you very much for your help, John.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,042 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for that update. Glad it worked for you and now I know that the Realtek ALC3226 chipset is included in that driver.

#15 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

Don't Mess with Success!

Glad to hear All is Well

Rock On My Friend :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users