Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited connectivity connection even in safemode.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 compbuff

compbuff

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

Hi,

I have been experiencing limited wifi connection issues to my network from my laptop, even when I tried safe mode with networking.

To clarify, I have two laptops. One, an HP pavilion running Windows 7, which I am able to connect to my network from with no issues, so it isn’t the router. The other is an Acer Aspire V3-7772G, which runs Windows 8.1 which is only 4 months old which originally I had no problem connecting to the internet wirelessly to begin with. I can’t fathom whether I have a faulty network card, despite the laptop being relatively new. Normally I check it with safe mode to identify if it’s a faulty driver first or not; but that was after I went through all the troubleshooting methods available as follows:

• Checked that airplane mode was turned off and wireless communication was turned on.
  • Made sure the network adapter was enabled
  • Checked powersaving plan, ensuring maximum performance for ‘On battery’ and ‘Plugged in’ under balanced plan
  • Ran troubleshooting, resetting network adapter
  • Ran network troubleshooter, clicking identify and repair network problems.
  • Ran Avast and Malwarebytes Anti-malware, both premium versions, and no malware or viruses were affecting my laptop.
  • Updated my network drivers:

My network driver is Qualcomm atheros ar5bwb222 and the current driver that was installed was version 10.0.0.264 for my Acer Aspire V3-772G. So I updated the driver finding one which was version 10.0.0.276 for my laptop. Anyways, after running the exe setup for the 10.0.0.276 driver and installing, I rebooted, flushed the DNS but it remained as limited connectivity. Then I tried an older version than the one that was preinstalled, a 10.0.0.255 version, rebooting and flushing DNS as before, but once again, it remained the same

• Reset the TCP/IP stack and rebooted
  • Reset TCP/IP Autotuning and rebooted
  • Made sure I had disabled sleep mode (Wake up Wi-fi adapter)
  • I then decided to reset the PC back to its original factory setting since I did not have a lot on it, yet the internet connection was still saying limited. It still says problem with wireless adapter to access point.
  • Then as a check, I tried connecting from safe mode with networking and it still remained limited connectivity, unable to connect. Thus, I don’t know whether it’s corrupted or incompatible drivers, or a hardware issue, such as my network card.

I think I have tried every method available to me. I would appreciate kindly any assistance regarding my problem.

Edited by compbuff, 13 October 2014 - 07:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

I meant to state, my Acer Apsire above runs Windows 8.1 O/S

#3 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:23 AM

Hello there,

Did you use "Windows update" to automatically get recommended drivers and updates?

#4 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:22 AM

Hi, thank you for your prompt reply. If you mean since I reset it to the original factory settings, no I haven't to be honest. I think when the problem occured before I went through all the messages mentioned, may have been because of a windows update possibly. Should I do so now anyway?

#5 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

Hello there,

Yes sure give "Windows update" a try.

Keep us posted. 

#6 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

Ok. I won't be able to do so and reply until some point tomorrow or Wednesday, due to other commitments, but will keep you posted.

Edited by compbuff, 13 October 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#7 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

Hi again,

I have updated windows and it still shows limited connectivity. Same problem exists in windows safe mode as well.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

Being that it worked and then stopped. Doing a factory reset and the same issue happening even using different drivers and Microsoft Update, I would call Acer and RMA the computer before trying anything in the links I posted below.

There have been other people with this same issue. Is your model the 772G and not 7772G as in your post title?

From things I have read, Windows 8.1 can be driver hell. This article is from a year ago but it gives you an idea about what I mean.

See if doing any of the steps listed here helps. I know you reset TCP/IP but there are other setting that can be changed.

#9 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

Hi JohnC

That was an error. Yes, my model is 772G not 7772G as originally posted. I have heard about how Windows 8.1 drivers can be hell. Nonetheless I will go through the steps from the link first and post my reply.

#10 compbuff

compbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:15 AM

Hi,

It appears the problem is my router's firmware needed to be updated. I spoke with my ISP and after explaining that my windows 8.1 laptop was having limited connection issues they explained I probably needed to update my router for compatibility. After linking me to the latest firmware and what I needed to do, my network adapter is now wirelessly communicating again.

Much obliged to you guys for any assistance and recommendations on here.

Edited by compbuff, 18 October 2014 - 04:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users