Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange PC Activity Indicator Behavior?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 confuxion

confuxion

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:00 AM

I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is a hardware problem, some sort of virus/malware problem, or even a problem at all.

About a month ago, I noticed that the (processor?) activity indicator (the blue light on the front of my PC) was nearly on all the time, especially when I wasn't at my computer. I initially chalked this up to the knowledge (based on HDD Sentinel warnings) that I had a disk that was likely approaching failure. However, after removing the drive (after it did, in fact, die), it had no effect on the processor activity indicator. The strange thing about this issue is that I've open my Task Manager on numerous occasions while the activity light was constantly on, and there was no abnormal spike in activity with any of the processes listed in the Processes tab. In other words, the System Idle Process was running anywhere from 95-99%, and no other processes were using up any more than a few percentage points of my CPU. Before this issue began, the activity indicator light would only come on when there was some sort of corresponding known activity going on (at least known to me).

What makes things even weirder is that while I'm away from my PC, and the activity light is on nearly all the time, I'll jump on my PC immediately, and while it is sluggish for the first 10-20 seconds, it eventually returns to normal operation, and the activity light ceases from being constantly on (and just blinks in a way that I would consider to be a sign of normal computer activity). I do have a screensaver, but it doesn't kick on until after 45 minutes of inactivity, and the activity light returns to it's constant glow well before the screensaver kicks on. My next instinct leads me to thinking some software title is responsible for this issue, but I haven't changed the installed software on my PC since well before this whole thing started. I feel like the answer for this may be simple and make me feel pretty stupid, but I'm stumped at this point.

I have a custom-built PC running Win7 Ultimate x64. I keep my ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7 up to date, along with any Windows Update patches, and also have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75 installed with filesystem protection enabled. For a software firewall, I use a program called Windows Firewall Control, which just adds some features on top of Windows' built-in one. I'm behind an ASUS router that is properly (AFAIK) configured. If I need to provide any further info, I would be glad to. Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to troubleshoot this with me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:55 AM

If I understand you, you had one hdd to fail but it wasn't the one with Win7 installed on it. You continue to

have a lot of processor activity when idle.

Sounds like Win7 may be trying to defrag and is having some problem. Possibly some bad sectors on the hdd.

That's one possible source of the activity. Suggest you test that hdd using the manufacturer's suggested program.

You can attempt repairs using Windows Repair (All In One) Download including the repair shown in Option #4.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users