Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 works for a few seconds, then everything freezes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lost42

lost42

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 (purchased by me, x64bit) on a home-built machine. I boot Windows from a Sandisk Extreme 120gb SSD and I also have a WD internal HD for storage.

Today while using Google Chrome, my system had its first serious crash (I built it 2-3 years ago). Cursor wouldn't move, music kept repeating, everything froze up. I restart the computer only to find that I have a few glorious seconds of functioning before everything freezes up again. I thought it was a Google Chrome issue, but it happens no matter what I try to use. It even froze when I just hovered over the start menu. Safe mode also freezes after about half a minute. Sometimes I can't even make it into Safe mode before everything crashes.

I thought maybe my SSD was dying, but the BIOS continues to detect it. Chkdsk tries to run now every time I reboot, with varying levels of failure. Sometimes it makes it further than others, but it never completes before a brief BSOD (too brief to read) and then a total reboot. After that happens, the machine tries to boot from my WD drive, which does not have Windows on it. I switched back to booting from the Sandisk in the BIOS, but with the same results as before.

I have fiddled with the physical connections and have even tried a different power socket for the Sandisk, but I'm not sure what the problem is.

Could it be malware? Or does it sound like a physical problem?

As always, your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

Since you already have the installation disc for your version of Windows 7 I've omitted the Part A of the instructions below which deals with creating a bootable disc.

The instructions will take you through the process of running the Startup repair.  If this doesn't resolve this issue there are other options in the System Recovery Options.  But let's try the Startup Repair first.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS  so that the DVD/CD drive is the first item in the boot order, and the SSD the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 lost42

lost42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

Hi, DC3,

Thank you for your reply. Last night, I tried running startup repair through system recovery mode (I think that's what it's called).  After about an hour, it was still not finished so I let it run all night.  It was not complete in the morning, so I let it run all day while I was at work.  Approximately 12 hours later, it still hadn't finished, so I figured it wasn't going to work.  I manually shut down the computer when clicking "cancel" did not work. 

Based on your advice, I tried running startup repair again by using the Windows Recovery Disk, but Windows 7 did not even show up in this menu (I just grabbed this picture from your post.  When I saw this menu on my system, it was blank):

w74_zps490f9a17.png

I clicked "load drivers" but did not know what to do after that.  If I just click next, it allows me to run system repair but I don't know if that will do anything.  It's now been running for about 15 minutes and is still "searching for problems."  I imagine it will be searching for a long time since it couldn't even find Windows.

Any ideas?  Thanks again, by the way!

Edited by lost42, 13 October 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:25 AM

Open the BIOS and look in the boot order to see if you have the hdd visible there.  Also make sure it is in the boot order after DVD/CD-ROM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 lost42

lost42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

Thanks. Ran startup repair and got the following error: The instruction at 0xfc3a584d referenced memory at 0x00000008. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

Who is the manufacturer of your hdd?

#8 lost42

lost42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

Ssd-sandisk extreme
Hdd-western digital

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

Go to SanDisk Support  and download their SSD Toolkit and run it.

Please post the results in your topic.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

You might remove all cables from the SSD and then reconnect them.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users