Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need taskbar icons that are really icons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Al from Rochester

Al from Rochester

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

Gosh, this Windows 7 is annoying.

In XP if I needed to open something, say Chrome or Irfan, I could just hit the icon on the taskbar and there it opened.  If I needed another occurance, the icon was still there and I can hit it all I want for as many open occurences as I want.

In my Windows 7, if I hit a taskbar, the first occurence consumes the icon and it is gone.  As far as I know, I have to go back to the desktop or the programs list to open another Irfan.

Please tell me I'm wrong, and tell me how to make the icons be icons and the open programs be something else on the Taskbar.

Thank you kindly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

Right click the icon you want pinned and choose pin to task bar. Mine have never disappeared in 2+ years. Unless I unpin them.

EDIT: You can even rearrange them on the task bar while pinned by dragging and dropping.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Al from Rochester

Al from Rochester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:05 PM

Maybe I was unclear.  You want to paste a photo to Irfan.  You hit the Irfan icon in the task bar, and paste the photo in.  You want to paste another photo to Irfan.  There is no icon for Irfan any more.  It is occupied by the first photo.

In XP the icons to open programs were separate from the application tabs and never went away.  You could hit an an icon 20 times and have 29 photos open for review, selecting, or whatever you want to do.  Absolutely, clearly, a better system.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

I'd like an answer to this horrendous, flawed, idiotic, design as well.

Icons are covered by whatever that icon opened first. For instance, one of the icons I have is Notepad.

In XP I could start few notepads and the little Notepad icon was still there.

In Win7 it gets replaced by the name of the file.

Ditto for every other icon I have next to Start of which I have 4. Explorer and Notepad bug me most.

Al, the right click on the "covering" icon, your first photo, will let you access IRfan again for your other picture.

It's a ridiculous design. And I have not found a way to defeat it. Even with Classic Menu.

Edited by tos226, 12 October 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#5 Al from Rochester

Al from Rochester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:32 PM

It's like the back-end geeks fixed all the problems with XP and gave the user interface design task to a couple of people who paint Unicorn pictures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users