Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU too hot. Is it my PSU?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MyPCNeedsHelp2

MyPCNeedsHelp2

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:25 PM

I put a new PC together. New motherboard, RAM and CPU installed into a new case. But I kept the old power supply, which I accidentally shorted out one of the red wires a LONG time ago, but has worked fine for many, many months. I am, however, beginning to think this is causing my new CPU to overheat.

I'm using SpeedFan 4.5 to monitor my temperatures and fan speeds and, while I'm not too familiar with temperatures and fan speeds, something doesn't seem right. Check out the images I attached and tell me what you think.

The +12V power is showing at 9 volts!!! Is that normal for it to dip that low under load? Also, and the BIGGEST discrepancy, is that while the CPU is boiling hot at over 100-degrees Fahrenheit, it's not calculating anything...the CPU is pretty much asleep. So how can this be?? The 8-core CPU is pretty much in neutral gear, so to speak, but overheating???

muibd5.jpg

2ly501l.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:38 AM

122F is high, it equates to about 50C.  Are you sure the thermal paste is doing its job?  The power supply numbers tell me throw it away!

Edited by OldPhil, 13 October 2014 - 05:41 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 MyPCNeedsHelp2

MyPCNeedsHelp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:46 AM

Okay. I'm going to Fry's Electronics later today to pick up a new PSU....something around 600-700 Watts.  It was the non-stop sound of the fan spinning so fast that caught my attention first. The pictures shows it at 5,800RPM. What I used to do was put a desk fan on the side of my computer while the side panel was removed. This instantly dropped the fan speed down (I could hear it). But just last night I felt I need to look deeper, so I installed this software to help me see the vitals like a doctor. Pretty cool tool!

I'm crossing my fingers it's just the PSU, because if I install a new one and the fan won't quiet down, I don't know where else to look.

Thanks for your input, OldPhil :-)

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

Temp may not be totally related to the PSU,  I would be checking the thermal paste also.  It also seems as if your case may not allow for good air low, you may need a case fan.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

What cpu do you have and what cooler? I have noticed that the newest haswell 4790k with the stock cooler actually idles around 50c, it is a beast cpu and really it needs an after market cooler if you want it to run cooler. Also the fan will run faster as the chip gets hotter.

If the motherboard voltage readings are correct, the psu definitely has an issue. The 12v should be within 5% of 12 volts. I doubt this would cause the cpu to run much hotter than normal but possibly the fan isn't running full speed when it should be due to low voltage.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

I have doubts it would run at all, at least with any stability if the +12v output is that far out of range.  Hardware monitoring software aimed at a wide range of systems often has compatibility problems with some hardware, and doesn't read all the outputs correctly.  If your motherboard manufacturer has it's own monitoring software, check that out as well.  A multimeter is another method of checking the voltages.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

I agree that it most likely would not run. The best option to test voltages is a multi-meter while the computer is on and running. It is easy to test the 12v rail from any open molex or sata connection (as long as you have a single rail 12v psu that is).

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 MyPCNeedsHelp2

MyPCNeedsHelp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

CPU is AMD FX 8350, 4.0GHz (16MB Cache). I used the stock fan that came in the box with the CPU. The CPU already had thermal paste so I left it there. I considered removing it and using my own, but didn't go that route here.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

I agree with the suggestion that the monitoring might not be reading correctly - I suggest the first thing to eliminate would be SpeedFan misreading the board sensors. Check what readings are given by the board itself in the BIOS setup. It won't be any harm to replace the PSU, an uncertain power supply isn't the safest match for new components.

If the CPU temp is confirmed as excessive by other diagnostics, a cover sheet wasn't overlooked on the thermal paste during assembly was it?

Edited by Platypus, 13 October 2014 - 07:48 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 MyPCNeedsHelp2

MyPCNeedsHelp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:06 PM

coversheet on the thermal paste??? you mean there might be a protective sheet covering the paste and I might have forgotten to remove it?

I didn't check for a sheet, but if it's sort of obvious and hard to miss, I'm generally not THAT careless. I will keep it in mind if I run out of options. Definitely a good point!

I just got back from Fry's and I bought this PSU: Corsair 750Watts. I chose it because an online PSU calculator estimated my requirements at 325 Watts. I used the "double it up" rule, expecting the PSU to run at 50% load approximately and, therefore, much quieter and efficienntly. Even if the PSU wasn't the culprit, the burned/frayed red wire in the old one is concern and this purchase is justified IMO. Check it out, guys:

124efxu.png

Edited by MyPCNeedsHelp2, 13 October 2014 - 09:11 PM.

#11 MyPCNeedsHelp2

MyPCNeedsHelp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:14 AM

Spent a lot of time today dealing with the problem, still. So, the fan is still spinning FAST and is very loud after installing the new PSU. I tried the next thing: removing the stock thermal paste and applying a new pea-size of new paste.

2z8c47k.png

Nothing. No luck. When I first booted, it seemed to work. Of course, after a few minutes of doing nothing...no programs open, just a lonely desktop...the fan starts to speed up. Faster and faster. Until it got back to the same loud noise level.

I checked the BIOS and the settings seem fine. I can't adjust the maximum fan speeds, only the minimums. What???

So, I looked at my new CPU specs and it looks like it runs at 125 Watts. That seems very inefficient. Under the BIOS, the CPU temperature showed 44-deg Celsius. But this was during bootup. The fan gets faster/louder after I exit BIOS and leave the computer alone in Windows.

Running out of options. I decided to get liquid cooling system. Bought the Corsair H60 and will install when it arrives in about a week. Thanks to you all for your help. Will check in to report if the problem was solved or alleviated.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

If you go to windows task manager (ctrl + alt + delete), and then click on the performance tab, is your cpu in high use? If it is at 0% or close (idle) then it really should not be heating up that much.

A few things are possible: software issue, or a problem with the cpu cooler itself.

Is your cpu cooler the copper heat pipe type? I have seen a few copper heat pipes that leaked their fluid out, they stop working immediately. If you contiune to have issues with heat even though the cpu has been confirmed at idle, I would replace the heat sync with a different one and try again.

#13 MyPCNeedsHelp2

MyPCNeedsHelp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

No, the CPU is not running at all. As I noted before, this is happening when the PC is idle....not running any programs at all. Task manager shows CPU usage fluctuating between 0%-6%.

Not sure which one is the copper heat pipe type. It looks like most stock heatsinks. I think it had a copper pipe running near the bottom of the heatsink.

I'm going with "you get what you paid for" on this one. When you get something for free, it's for a reason...it's probably low quality crap. I went with liquid cooling and bought the Corsair H60 yesterday. Should arrive soon. Sadly, I still can't pin-point the cause. Sort of shooting in the dark here. Already burned a few bucks on a new PSU, which didn't fix anything.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:46 AM

My best guess at the moment would be a problem with the heat sync. Here are examples of copper heat pipe coolers (a lot of the amd coolers do have heat pipes) https://www.google.com/search?q=copper+heat+pipe+cooler&biw=1272&bih=766&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=HBs9VPrxFI_8yQTJmoCADA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:21 PM

A CPU contact issue I'd most likely expect to show up as high temperatures as soon you power on.  If it's not a problem with the cooler itself, temperature rising over time steadily suggests a possible issue with airflow, to me anyway.

Some things to consider:

What is the air flow like through the case?

Do you have any case fans?  I would suggest at least a single front fan and a fan behind the CPU.  The Corsair liquid cooler will come with a radiator that you mount behind the CPU usually.

Is the wiring neat and tied out of the way as best as possible?

Is the PC located in a position that allows air in and out of the case without restriction (i.e. not rammed into a cupboard or something)?

And what case do you have?  Some have different cable management features (room to route wires behind the motherboard tray for example) that can really help with getting good airflow.

Edited by jonuk76, 14 October 2014 - 08:24 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users