I put a new PC together. New motherboard, RAM and CPU installed into a new case. But I kept the old power supply, which I accidentally shorted out one of the red wires a LONG time ago, but has worked fine for many, many months. I am, however, beginning to think this is causing my new CPU to overheat.
I'm using SpeedFan 4.5 to monitor my temperatures and fan speeds and, while I'm not too familiar with temperatures and fan speeds, something doesn't seem right. Check out the images I attached and tell me what you think.
The +12V power is showing at 9 volts!!! Is that normal for it to dip that low under load? Also, and the BIGGEST discrepancy, is that while the CPU is boiling hot at over 100-degrees Fahrenheit, it's not calculating anything...the CPU is pretty much asleep. So how can this be?? The 8-core CPU is pretty much in neutral gear, so to speak, but overheating???