Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Correct DIMM for Dell Optiplex 380

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

I currently have 4 gb of RAM installed in this computer. It is one module in one slot. I have a second slot and want another 4 gb DIMM module.  The one I have now is 240-Pin, DDR3 SDRAM. 

Crucial.com comes up with a module with these specs:
DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •

I believe this is the same thing.  Am I right?

http://smile.amazon.com/Upgrade-OptiPlex-Desktop-PC3-12800-NON-ECC/dp/B00JFVIU4I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1413157390&sr=8-6&keywords=4gb+ddr3+pc3-12800+unbuffered+non-ecc+1.5v+512meg+x+64

I really don't want to have to buy two new modules, if I don't have to.

I have Windows 7, 64-bit, if that info is important.

Silly, I know -- I could buy it from the Crucial site, but I have other stuff to buy on Amazon and would rather do it all at once.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:58 PM

According to the Dell technical guide on the 380, it only supports a maximum of 4GB or RAM. See page 11.

#3 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:01 PM

What the??? I was sure when I bought that thing the specs said it came with 4 GB and had a max of 8GB. That's why I didn't check out a manual first. Now I'm quite confused. I kept seeing stuff for upgrading to 8GB, too. Oh well. It's not like the computer isn't running. It's much better than the last one (on which I still need to run memtest - I did make a new memtest disk, though.)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

Maybe Dell changed there specs on the motherboard. If you look at the side of the computer you should have a service tag.  You could email Dell customer support and ask them. But, I think 4GB is plenty if you don't plan on running multiple programs at once.

Even if you have 4GB, it may be both RAM slots are filled with 2GB each and you would need another 2 4GB in order to get 8GB. When you open the side of the computer, are both slots filled?

#5 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

No, just one slot is filled. That I know from running Belarc. It also tells me the service tag number, so I can email Dell and find out.  Good idea. I do often have multiple programs open, as I work online a lot and have different things to do. But it's not like the programs are memory hogs. I have open a couple of browsers, Word, email, and Dreamweaver. Sometimes I also have PowerPoint or Excel open as well. But that's usually it. I just thought I should take care of this issue while I was working on everything else. It's not critical since everything is working okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users