Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reusing hardware to build a new system

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tryme123

tryme123

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

So basically I would like to see if you guys had any suggestions on relocating 2 LGA 1366 xenon processors to a new motherboard. The processors are in a custom-made music computer that is in the form of a music keyboard. Recently I've been having weird problems with the machine and it seems like either a motherboard issue or a power supply issue. Without getting into the whole story and everything I've done to come to this conclusion I decided to just ditch the format of a musical keyboard music computer and go the route of a standard server grade computer for making music. I couldn't tell you what kind of motherboard is used because it's proprietary( and totally custom) to the company that makes the machine however I can tell you that it's from American microtrends. I can also tell you that it is a derivative of the 786Q ambios single board computer. But somehow the company that makes this music keyboard was able to get American microtrends to produce a single board computer that included two xenon1366 compatible slots and up to 196 GB of RAM. Anyway my goal is to reuse the two xenon processors and 36 gigs of RAM I have installed , hard drives and Fans, and anything else I can salvage. This is of course assuming that the problem isnt actually the processors. Any ideas on what a good dual socket motherboard would be? Could you also provide suggestions on a computer case presumably extended ATX? Would cooling be suggested? Thermal paste needed? And any other suggestions you could offer on facilitating this sort of hardware transfer. I will include images of the current motherboard. And also the specs of the current hardware.

TWO: Intel® Xeon® Processor E5645
(12M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 5.86 GT/s Intel® QPI)

36 gig (4x8gb, 1x 4gb) 1333 ECC rated ram
2 7200rpm 6gb/s 1tb sata HD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:41 PM

Looks like newegg only sells motherboards from one company that supports this, and they are really expensive. I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy a new single processor and motherboard instead. But then I don't know if your ram would fit on it or not...

To take the cpus out of the old motherboard, you will have to take the heatsinks off, so, yes, you will totally need to use thermal paste if you want to continue to use the same heatsinks. You can search how to properly clean off the chips and heatsink and apply the new thermal paste. Alternately, if you buy new heatsinks you could buy ones that have the thermal pad thing already in place, in which case you would not need to get thermal paste.

#3 tryme123

tryme123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

I get how it might seem cheaper . Only consider that a hex core processor of that type can cost you like 500 bucks and I have 2 of them . I don't want to simply throw them in a box and forget about them. Also - there is also the combined power of 2 6 core xenon processors that I would like to take advantage of . So I guess my question is , at this point , Reguardless of the price for the mother board- can someone maybe suggest some models that would support the above mentioned processors and 36gig or more if ram ? I already have really good heat sinks and would like to reuse then. I have a 750w power supply , fans, hard drives , DVD drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users