Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 unable to boot after forced shut down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RYOTSU

RYOTSU

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

Last weekend my system hanged up(because of many google chrome tabs, many opened folders and a game), i tried ctrl+alt+del, alt+f4, nothing was working. After waiting for an hour i forced shut down. When i started the system next day it showed a smart error(bad hard disk) and took me to bios page. Now from a week system is unable to boot and does'nt goes past windows animation screen and i have tried many things like 1) safe mode-no response (2) start up repair many times-no response (3) diagnostics which clears all test except 4 of 7 hard disk tests (5) chkdsk which clears my almost full hard disk without any problem and i am also able to use all my files by putting my hard disk into a ext hd usb case and plugging into my friend's pc . Then i tried to boot with my windows installation cd and when going in recovery console my drive letter was strangely d: which i changed back to c: using some diskpart command but after reboot a new problem creeped in i.e <bootmgr is missing> then i tried to repair it by going in command prompt of recovery console and using all the commands starting with bootrec . I also tried sfc/scannow/offdir--- command but after the whole day it was still stuck . Now i don't want to lose my files and don't have money to buy a new hd : please help . Thanks in advance . System specs dell 580s desktop windows 7 home premium , core i3 550 2nd gen processor 3.20 ghz , 4 gb ddr3 ram, skywalker motherboard h57 chipset, western digital caviar blue 500 gb hd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

it showed a smart error(bad hard disk)...

clears all test except 4 of 7 hard disk tests ....

You may not like it, but this is probably the reality of it. To confirm use this application to test the disk, from another machine

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3

Regards

TsVk!

Edited by hamluis, 12 October 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#3 RYOTSU

RYOTSU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:14 AM

Firstly i would like to thank you for assistance . Now a few things i would like to add here - 1) there are absolutely no noises from my hard disk (2) i did complete chkdsk scan and there were no bad sectors . There was some orphaned files which were deleted by the system (3) i am using this system from 3 years and 2 hd tools i use frequently are gsmart control and defraggler which never detected any problem in the disk . NOW I know that a smart error is an indication of a falling hard drive . But in a month or two , for backup or as a replacement i will buy a new hd but right now it is not possible . But can you help me with this <BOOTMGR IS MISSING> problem . I am looking forward to some possible solutions like 1) updating bios for which i visited dell support website and downloaded a new bios update exe file . But i don't know how to use it. (2) repairing the boot settings but don't know how to do it (3) may be there is a problem with windows registry or some drivers but how to be sure and solve it. (4) may be i can try to repair windows but how to do it (5) is there a possibility of reinstalling window without erasing all my data PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT IS THE BEST OPTION IN THIS SITUATION AND HOW TO DO IT.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:37 AM

But can you help me with this <BOOTMGR IS MISSING> problem...

is there a possibility of reinstalling window without erasing all my data...

PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT IS THE BEST OPTION IN THIS SITUATION AND HOW TO DO IT.

You cannot fix a bootmgr error if the disk is failing physically.

You cannot reinstall Windows on a failing disk, with or without data.

The best option right now is to test your disk for hardware failure with the software link I provided, if we go on to try and recover your OS and your hardware is failing we may destroy all of your data.

Let's approach this issue in the order of most likely problem first, then we can look at the second, third, etc...

TsVk!

#5 RYOTSU

RYOTSU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:46 AM

Okay but right now i don't have means to test my hard disk my friend has a usb hd case but he is not in the city . But anyway thanks for the help

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:56 AM

Ok... another option is you can download UBCD, burn and boot from it.

There are some reliable HDD testing applications on it that will help to eliminate or confirm the possibility of HDD failure.

#7 RYOTSU

RYOTSU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:01 AM

Thanks a lot , i am going try it out right now

#8 RYOTSU

RYOTSU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:16 AM

Sorry to trouble you again but this is a 600 mb file which i can't download from my phone and also i am not able to boot up to windows so how can i will be able to burn it to a cd and run it . Is there any small software which i can use from a usb and run it from the command prompt of recovery console .

#9 RYOTSU

RYOTSU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

In bios settings screen , when going into boot selection menu , it says < A DEVICE in PARENTHESIS has been DISABLED in the CORRESPONDING TYPE MENU > what this means . Please help . Thanks in advance

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:28 PM

Sorry to trouble you again but this is a 600 mb file which i can't download from my phone and also i am not able to boot up to windows so how can i will be able to burn it to a cd and run it . Is there any small software which i can use from a usb and run it from the command prompt of recovery console .

Not that I know of... that doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. I always use boot disks to troubleshoot issues like this.

I've not seen the "device in parenthesis" message before either. It would appear to read that the device has been disabled from a corresponding menu, pretty much what it says. You can choose to load default settings in the BIOS, that will make that message go away... Unless you have deliberately set it like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users