Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blainjj58

blainjj58

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

I installed ubuntu 14.04.1 alongside windows server 2008. When I restart my system, it loads windows server 2008 without displaying an option to choose which os to load. It automatically loads windows server 2008. What do I need to do to fix so I can have the option to select which os I want to load? Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

did you go through msconfig/boot tab and then select the boot partition and set as default?

#3 starrouter

starrouter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:36 PM

I haven't setup a  dual boot system in a long time but in the past, it was usually easier to install Windows first, then when you install Linux, regardless of distribution,  the Linux bootloader, usually LILO or GRUB would recognize your Windows installation and write it as an option to your boot menu.  If you aren't seeing the LILO or GRUB boot menu and just going straight into Windows, you might be able to boot to your Ubuntu DVD and either do a bootloader repair from there, or boot Linux from there then run your bootloader config tool once in Linux.  It's been quite a few years since I've done this and that may have all changed but may be worth a try.

Edited by starrouter, 08 November 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#4 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:37 AM

I haven't setup a  dual boot system in a long time but in the past, it was usually easier to install Windows first, then when you install Linux, regardless of distribution,  the Linux bootloader, usually LILO or GRUB would recognize your Windows installation and write it as an option to your boot menu.  If you aren't seeing the LILO or GRUB boot menu and just going straight into Windows, you might be able to boot to your Ubuntu DVD and either do a bootloader repair from there, or boot Linux from there then run your bootloader config tool once in Linux.  It's been quite a few years since I've done this and that may have all changed but may be worth a try.

True.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:51 AM

In Windows go to disk management and shrink the volume of C give it like 20-30 gigs. Leave the new volume blank don't format it. Boot off linux cd and choose install and then choose to install side by side Windows. It should be pre selected. Then it will install to that blank volume automatically. Once installed reboot and you should get the grub2 loader with everything on it. If you boot into windows it may ask to repair don't this will mess up the MBR. Just select normal boot. It should be ok after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users