Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built external hard drive not accessible

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yOUNG^nOVICE

yOUNG^nOVICE

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:21 AM

Good day to all, my issue that I have is with my external HD. Previously is worked just fine, I would be able to access it in quick time as soon as I turned on the switch. That has changed, when the switch is turned the machine recognizes that a USB device has been turned and it reads for almost 2-3 mins sometimes more. While it is reading I’m seeing the drive showing up in My Computer and even in disk management but not able to open up the drive but use to be able to when it was functioning. After it finishes reading it just stops, the drive is no longer being recognised and not being seen in my computer and disk management , note that the drive is still sufficiently powered up, all connections to the machine just seems to drop completely.

Actions that I took and still no results are; changed power cable, tried different power outlet on the wall, changed USB cables, tried all other USB ports on this machine and 2 others, even bought a new enclosure for the hard drive, tried turning off auto play. None of these worked it just continued to read for abit and when I thought I would be able to access my data, the drive is just not being seen. The HD seems to be spinning fine, not hearing any clicks or ticks, the data lights flicker away when it’s turned on.

I hope this issue can be fixed, I need the data on the drive, my OS windows 7ultimate 32bit, any assistance given will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

y^n

Edited by yOUNG^nOVICE, 12 October 2014 - 08:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:44 AM

It could be the drive is failing. Before doing a diagnostic using Seatools for Windows, see if you can mount the drive and grab the data using a small linux distro like Puppy. Download the 5.2.8 iso and burn it to a CD. Boot Puppy. When  you get to the Puppy Desktop, attach the external drive. You should see a USB icon appear next to your optical drive.

Click the USB icon once and Puppy will try to mount the drive. If it mounts, a File Manager will open. Click your computer internal drive icon, probably sda1. Another File Manger windows will open. Select your files and folders in the external drive File Manager by holding the Ctrl key and left clicking.  Drag the highlighted files over to the the other File Manager window. A small dialog box will open asking if you want to copy or move. Select Move.

I will be gone for about an hour.

#3 yOUNG^nOVICE

yOUNG^nOVICE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for your response John, I did as you said. First tried it did not mount, files came up as read only, second time it did, but I was not able to transfer the files on the internal HD, kept getting an error it said that it could not copy files. Something just told me to try back the the with the win OS and to my supprise it worked, I'm coping files at the moment, fingers crossed i will get all. Can I safely assume that this drive is coming to an end? or did the linux OS resolve the connection issue?

Thanks again John

Regards

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:28 AM

Once you get your data off, download Seatools for WIndows and run the diagnostic test. If it passes, I would run a chkdsk on the external drive. If it fails, then I would say you should replace the drive. Always have your most important files save to two locations.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

SeaTools for Windows User Guide

Edit: Open your saved files and see if any are corrupted. I am not sure if Linux solved that issue or not. It may have done something but I would not know what.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 October 2014 - 10:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users