Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How to get multiple web applications on different servers accessible online

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_slehmann36_*

Guest_slehmann36_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

Hi, I am a student with a passion for computer networking.  I am running a few servers at home including raspberry pi web servers, web print servers, mail servers with web app similar to OWA. I have registered a domain name for myself and have control of the DNS. I have set it up so that it points to my static public-facing IP address and that is all working great. 

I have been trying to set up my home network so that the web apps i am hosting on these various servers can be accessed on the web at [app].[domain].com.

I thought an internal DNS server would do the trick so i tried to set one up but I wasn't sure how to configure it and if it was even what I needed. 

What i am looking for is a "server" that i can set up forward any necessary ports to so that all incoming http requests have to go past that first, That server can be configured to forward the requests on certain criteria.

e.g:

mail.[domain].com                to be forwarded to      192.168.1.132/mail

www.[domain].com               to be forwarded to      192.168.1.131/index.html

vhost1.[domain].com            to be forwarded to      192.168.1.131/vhost1

octoprint.[domain].com         to be forwarded to      octopi.local

diskstation.[domain].com      to be forwarded to     192.168.1.132:5000

as you can see, i need it to be able to correctly forward to a range of things; i.e ip address + virtual host, ip address + html file, internal hostname or ip address + port.

I know there are ways of doing this like port forwarding but that only forwards based on the requested port. All these web apps (and more to come) are on port 80 or 443 so just port forwarding won't work. 

Firstly, is there such thing or am i dreaming?

Secondly, Is an internal DNS server what i need?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_slehmann36_*

Guest_slehmann36_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:39 AM

For anyone else who is asking a similar question, URL rewrite in IIS7 with the Application Request Routing extension installed works fantastically. 

you will need to create a Reverse Proxy rule for each of the web servers/apps on your local network

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users