Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Enter Network Password problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 denmla1000

denmla1000

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:03 AM

Hi all,

I am having this problem for a while, and I tried many things but nothing works.

It is simple acctualy. I have a computer on a local home network that have shared folder but when I click on this computer from another it asks for Network Password.

Now, I do have this password and I can log on using it, but I know I can log in wothout a password.

I have laptop that is identical as this troubled laptop, and everyone else can log in to it on my work, at home, and everywhere else I have been.

Both computers have this same set:

Win 7

No Homegroup

Same Workgroup (WORKGROUP)

Shared folder are shared by addding EVERYONE read/write perrmision

Password protocted sharing is turned off

Guest accounts are enabled from security policy

Networks that are used are all wireless, all UTP Cable and mixed

I simply can not find any reason for one laptop to be able to provide access to its content without network password and other can't.

If anyone else found this problem (or long waited solution) please respond.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

I guess I would try NTFS permissions next.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

It's not NTFS asking for a password.  It's basic logon authencation.  Problem is your account on that machine is not using the same password as you are when you logon to your machine.  Go to that machine and change your user accounts password to match the one you regularly use.

#4 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

Workgroups can get a little finicky. Do the following (and I do this when dealing with 2 or more computers on a workgroup).

I create the same user ID on all computers (1 or 6 of them don't matter but make sure they are the same on all)

I create a password (I tried no/blank passwords in the past and found for shares it at times don't like that)

Usually after that any sharing is a piece of cake.

If you want to have the PC login without having to type the password there are tricks to that but this is about sharing.

Edited by Ivy74, 15 October 2014 - 11:01 AM.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users