Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate email problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

I keep getting duplicate emails,Ive reinstalled windows 7 and reinstalled Thunderbird as well but it is still doing it? I read on the knowledge database help section on Thunderbird that imap is used by default instead of pop which is what I originally set it up with.I'm using a different ISP now and still have the same problem.It must be coming from an email server but I don't know how to contact them or configure it? I'm at a complete loss on what to do about it now?

Edited by blueballs, 11 October 2014 - 08:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:23 PM

The info in the link below describes several scenarios of why emails are duplicated.

Email Troubleshooting - Duplicate Emails

I think this one applies to you because you receive duplicates of every email.

I get multiple copies of every email.

Likely cause: You have multiple forwarders set up. Let's say person A is getting the double copies. Perhaps emails to B forward to A and C, while emails to C also forward to A. So A is getting the emails from both B and C.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get an email alert? Ive got an idea about these duplicate emails,Could it have anything to do with CCcleaner because when I run that ( approx once a month) it deletes Thunderbird cache and the server might think I haven't got the email and downloads it again?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

I don't think so...unless you are getting duplicates a month or so after receiving the first. Besides, what files

would exist in the cache....deleted emails? You can always uncheck the cleaning of any program's cached files to test.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

Sometimes double messages in your email client are due to mails with corrupt headers.

One or more of the headers for the e-mails currently residing on the server may be corrupted. The corrupted header will not harm your computer. It will often prevent downloading of mail sent after it.

Solution: The easiest solution, which can be time consuming if you have a lot of mail in the online inbox is to move all messages from your inbox to another folder in web mail access, and then move them back to the inbox one by one or in batches of 5 or so, downloading as you go. The message that fails to download is likely the corrupt one, and should be deleted or moved elsewhere if you wish to keep it. If you know when the issue started you can simply do the above with mail received a day or 2 before the start of the problem.

#6 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get an email alert? Ive got an idea about these duplicate emails,Could it have anything to do with CCcleaner because when I run that ( approx once a month) it deletes Thunderbird cache and the server might think I haven't got the email and downloads it again?

Sounds like the typical issue with using a POP server. Is it an option (for you) to set the setting to remove emails from the POP server after x-amount of days? 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#7 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:52 PM

Sounds like the typical issue with using a POP server. Is it an option (for you) to set the setting to remove emails from the POP server after x-amount of days? 

Yes there is an option to remove or delete them,(leave messages on server for a max), it is set for 14 days on my hotmail POP account. I also have an IMAP gmail account that I don't get duplicates on?

Edited by blueballs, 15 October 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#8 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:49 PM

Yes there is an option to remove or delete them,(leave messages on server for a max), it is set for 14 days on my hotmail POP account. I also have an IMAP gmail account that I don't get duplicates on?

Yeah, just remove the option to keep emails for x-amount of days. It will pull all the emails off the email server. Go to the email server OWA and confirm. If clear then re-add the entry to keep emails on the server for x-amount of days.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users