Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low fps in games after hard drive change

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Logana

Logana

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:38 PM

So I recently swapped my hard drive because of a possible failure, and here is my current build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 680

RAM:G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: SAMSUNG HD501LJ(Main boot drive)
WDC WD7500AAKS-00RBA0
Hitachi HDS722020ALA330(Main Storage drive and the one I just put in)

PSU: Corsair HX750 80+ Gold

So I after I swapped out the drives, I installed all the latest drivers and started playing some games. However, upon playing the games, I noticed that my fps is MUCH lower than what I normally got before the hard drive change. For example, upon playing The Sims 4, a game which I used to receive 100+ fps in, I now receive around 10 fps. It seems that my games aren't recognizing the GPU, and using the processor to run graphics instead. Even in things like GeForce Experience, I can't use things like "Game Optimization" because apparently I don't have a 400 series GPU or higher, while I definitely do. The GPU is recognized under device manager. 
Many of the google results are saying that I should just go into the nVidia control panel, and under "Mange 3D settings", I can select the preferred GPU. However, this option does not seem to be there. Am I running an older/new version of the control panel?

I would greatly appreciate any answers, and let me know if anything is not clear.

Edited by Logana, 11 October 2014 - 07:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Logana

Logana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:33 PM

Bump

#3 oggs

oggs

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

Dude it would be important for us all  to know at least what kind of drives they both were, for instance a new HQ with reasonable unused space, SSD drive, would perform better than an old HD/HDD standard IDE or possibly SATA drive which was almost full, just for starters there would be no room for the swap file to work properly......so anyway this is important.

Very often it is trial and error that solves many issues, in this case i think an important question might be, Can you possibly install another HD to test whether this issue persits, if not then I would start looking at your windows/settings and config  here's my best advice for what I guess so far.:Try using system restore to restore your settings to an earlier version, it would be best if you  block or stop your AV and or change to safety mode before running system restore (far more chance of a successful restore)

then just reboot

To reach system restore:I follow,     Start/Programs/accessories/System tools/System Restore

, This maybe different for you though,

Edited by oggs, 13 October 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#4 Logana

Logana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

Dude it would be important for us all  to know at least what kind of drives they both were, for instance a new HQ with reasonable unused space, SSD drive, would perform better than an old HD/HDD standard IDE or possibly SATA drive which was almost full, just for starters there would be no room for the swap file to work properly......so anyway this is important.

Very often it is trial and error that solves many issues, in this case i think an important question might be, Can you possibly install another HD to test whether this issue persits, if not then I would start looking at your windows/settings and config  here's my best advice for what I guess so far.:Try using system restore to restore your settings to an earlier version, it would be best if you  block or stop your AV and or change to safety mode before running system restore (far more chance of a successful restore)

then just reboot

To reach system restore:I follow,     Start/Programs/accessories/System tools/System Restore

, This maybe different for you though,

Thanks for the response. The old drive was a SAMSUNG HD154UI ATA 1.5 TB Drive. The new one is a Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2TB drive. Only a small number of files were carried over(roughly 8 gigs). The old drive has not yet totally failed, just in danger of, so I can try re installing that drive and see if the problem persists. If this fails I will attempt a system restore and if that fails I guess it's back to the drawing board. Again thank you for responding.

Edited by Logana, 14 October 2014 - 06:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users