Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Check/System Restore won't work... please help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eighth_wave

eighth_wave

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

Hey, I turned on my computer today and it said the disk had errors and to run a disk check. I did, and it said it couldn't complete because of the errors, and recommended a system restore. When I did a system restore, it said it couldn't because the disk needed to be checked. When I did that it said it couldn't finish and needed a system restore. Notice a pattern? Through a roundabout way I tried to do a system restore and it tried and said it couldn't fully do it, but THIS time it suddenly no longer recognizes any Internet abilities so I'm typing this on my phone. I have no idea what to do. Reinstall windows completely? Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:42 PM

Welcome,

I'm not sure but it sounds very much like a hard disk has given up and is no longer working properly. If you can move the drive to another computer you may be able to recover your data.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 eighth_wave

eighth_wave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

Well I can still turn it on and access all my stuff it's just slower than usual and won't acknowledge the Internet

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

What's your security software and is it current? Have you run any scans?

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 eighth_wave

eighth_wave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:42 AM

Ok so I got my internet back. I went into my connections and "rolled back" my driver settings to an earlier state and the internet works again. Computer's still being a little weird and kinda slow (which it has been for the past month or so) but definitely useable now. In answer to your question I've just been using the free AVG for awhile and have run thorough scans recently that turned up nothing.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:34 AM

Windows 8 Disk Check << according to Windows Club.
The disk is periodically checked for file system errors, bad sectors, lost clusters, etc, during Automatic Maintenance and you now no longer need to really go and run it. In fact, Windows 8 now even exposes the state of the file-system and disk via the Action Center or under the Drive properties in File Explorer. If potential errors are found, you will be informed about it. You can continue to use the computer, while the scan is carried out in the background. If errors are found, you may be prompted via a notification to restart your computer.

If you would; Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<= Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)

We may be able to find something listed in the results, or link you to a specific HDD test ............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users