Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive dilemma...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tinkerbell!

Tinkerbell!

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

Guys - following your advice I successfully uninstalled Search Conduit from my laptop woo hoo, thank you soo much....

I now have another dilemma around my external HDD.  I'm not sure if it's contaminated from a previous lap top (which was very ill in the end).  I'm worried about plugging the external into my new laptop in case it is infected, how do I get around this?  Any suggestions plz :thumbup2:.  Cheers, Tinks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hi Tinkerbell,

Thank you for starting this topic.

Download McShield2 to your desktop and install with default settings.

Now, anytime you plug in any type of USB device, McShield will scan the device to ensure no malware is found.

Disabling the autorun/autoplay feature in Windows will prevent a device from running once you insert it into your computer. If you are not sure how to disable that feature, please provide which Operating System you have installed, and I'll provide detailed instructions on how to accomplish that disablement.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 11 October 2014 - 05:55 PM.

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#3 Tinkerbell!

Tinkerbell!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

Thank you for your help Donna...I've downloaded MCShield. 

I'm not sure what this means but my OS is Windows 7 - Disabling the autorun/autoplay feature in Windows will prevent a device from running once you insert it into your computer. If you are not sure how to disable that feature, please provide which Operating System you have installed, and I'll provide detailed instructions on how to accomplish that disablement.

#4 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hi Tinkerbell! :)

You're welcome!

Now every time you insert anything into the USB ports you will notice that MCSheild will scan those devices to ensure they are infection free.

As for disabling autoplay, you can learn more about that here.

You can turn that feature off by following the instructions found here.

If you disable the Autoplay feature by going to Start > Control Panel > Autoplay and clicking on the little box to the left of Use AutoPlay for all media and devices found at the top of the window to clear out the checkmark, you will then need to go to Start > Computer and look for your external device under Devices with Removal Storage and click on it to open the device every time you insert it into your computer.

If you do not want to have to go through all those steps to prevent your device from opening automatically once inserted into your computer, you could also just press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard as you insert the USB cable belonging to that device. That will temporarily disable Autoplay for that particular device at that time.

I prefer to take the long route and just disable that feature altogether. It is recommended to do so to help prevent malware from running automatically. That will provide you the opportunity to right click on the device and scanning for malware with your installed Anti-virus before actually clicking on the device and allowing it to run. I have had moments when I am in such a hurry that I forget to press that Shift key. :wink:

Edited by DonnaB, 12 October 2014 - 03:08 PM.

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users