Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Went To High-speed, And I Need Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 at_wits_end

at_wits_end

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:18 PM

Ok. I bought an e-machine W3052 last year. We had dial-up, and had no problems. A couple weeks ago, we decided to go with high-speed internet. We've had problems keeping a connection. We get kicked offline, then we have to continually go to the Local Area Network and disable then enable. Sometimes, we need to click on repair. It's getting old. My sons can play runescape for an hour and not have a problem!

emachine tech support told me to do some things, when we tried to do a: ipconfig and get the message: "the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation."

Everything seems to be working fine (according to the steps I have taken).

I really hope someone can help me with this.

I'm "at my wits end".

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:49 PM

well that error could mean a few things, network cable bad>cable bad connection.
>corrupt drivers for your network card
>dsl modem is acting up (do you use a router?)
>router acting up (if you had one)

the error means fro some reason, your network card is not ready to request a dhcp address. so either it cant because it is not working properly(see above) or because it has no physical path to get one (cable, see above)

i would first try maybe a "winsock fix" available here,>>> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

if that dosent work, uninstall and re-install the drivers for the network card. if not, try another cat 5 cable.

post back to let us know how u r doing
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 at_wits_end

at_wits_end
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the reply snapper.

The internet provider has come out and changed the cable, moved the antenna and told me that they seem to have problems with emachines and highspeed.

I do not have a router, so that's not the problem.

I'm gonna try the winsock fix and will get back to you, although, I believe I have tried this.

can you give me advice on where to get the cat 5 cable, how to uninstall and reinstall (like where do I do that, do i have to save my files...etc).

I'm not good at the "meat and potatoes" of computers :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

wit

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:41 AM

cable, you cab buy anywhere that sells computer parts, very redily available, cat 5 it is called.
first, what operating Sytem are you using?

#5 at_wits_end

at_wits_end
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:39 PM

thanks for the info.

windows xp sp2 is my o.s.

the net tech said he thinks it's the computer (emachine). i just don't understand how my children can play runescape for hours without any problems, but when we surf page to page we have to disable then enable our connection and most times need to click repair.

it's driving me nuts.

i did do the winsockfix...but no dice.

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:48 PM

that is possible that you have bad hardware. you could try this, buy a PCI network card. they are pretty cheap, we give used ones out to our customers for 5 bucks, and sell new ones for 20$ canadian, so they are pretty cheap. install this piece of hardware, which is relatively easy even for an amateur<if ou need help let me know>. and try using the new network card instead of the old one. see if you notice a difference. if som you either disable or remove your old one and continue, if no joy, we'll try somehting else. we wont give up on you!! lol
dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users