Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I set up a cisco network lab?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Master Qiang

Master Qiang

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

A few days ago I decided I wanted my CCENT and CCNA certificates. I've learned I need some lab time for my CCNA which involves setting up a cisco network lab of sorts.

I was looking at buying two cisco 1760 model routers and a Cisco 2950 Switch.

Do I need to buy software to go on the routers? I really don't want a simulator on a PC since I want hands on experince.

I am rather in the dark about this still. Any advice would really help. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

If you are buying them on eBay, they should list if they have the IOS included and they should. You can also "find" them on the internet. Not the latest 15.x version but the 12.x versions are out there. 

And I understand wanting the physical equipment but honestly, once you plug in the wires and fire up telnet or SSH through the console port, you are looking at the same black screen I am when I open the CLI in Packet Tracer. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Master Qiang

Master Qiang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:03 AM

If you are buying them on eBay, they should list if they have the IOS included and they should. You can also "find" them on the internet. Not the latest 15.x version but the 12.x versions are out there. 

And I understand wanting the physical equipment but honestly, once you plug in the wires and fire up telnet or SSH through the console port, you are looking at the same black screen I am when I open the CLI in Packet Tracer. 

Nice! I will try packet tracer. I am reading Internetworking Baiscs by cisco. I am learning the OSI model. This started out a little tedious but I guess I will only get better at it.

What do you recommend I should try and do once I get packet tracer?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

There in lies the problem with self study, getting exercises to do. If you are just starting out I wouldn't worry too much about packet tracer or what to do in the IOS just yet. Learn the basics and build up. And yes it will get better and more fun the more you learn. You're on the right track =) 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Master Qiang

Master Qiang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

There in lies the problem with self study, getting exercises to do. If you are just starting out I wouldn't worry too much about packet tracer or what to do in the IOS just yet. Learn the basics and build up. And yes it will get better and more fun the more you learn. You're on the right track =) 

Alright! Also I found out that someone cannot get packet tracer without being a student of a cisco school. So I might just end up buying the equipment anyways. I am learning about the OSI model at the moment.

I looked at what could be in the test and it there seems to be a lot of trouble shooting and knowlege of commands on it. Maybe thats why I didn't feel like I was hardly getting anywhere.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

well....have you met my friend Google? *wink wink...nudge nudge* ie look for it. it's out there.

the other thing is GNS3, which is REALLY cool because you can connect it to your home network. but you have to "find" the IOS and actually "install" it. there are videos on how to setup GNS3. the other cool part is you can "link" it with virtualbox so you can have actual computers hooked to a vitual network that can get out to the actual internet. The HUGE downside of GNS3 is there are no proper switches in it. I hear they are working on it. You can set up a router with a switch module to be a switch but it's not really the same.

Packet Tracer....is better for studying. So just find it. GNS3 is really cool tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users