Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Assigning a Drive Letter to an external HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oldog1

Oldog1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

I have my  1TB SATA II hard drive partitioned as New Volume (C:) and Data File (E:).  I have these partitions backed up  to my WD My Book 2 TB external drive.  My problem is that I did not know enough to assign the external drive a drive letter when I started backing up.  Now when I go to My Computer all I can get is the two backed up files and can’t use the external HDD for anything else.  How can I assign a File Drive letter to my external drive?  Every thing is also cloned  to another WD My Book  with the same situation so I can afford to lose this data on the drive in question if necessary, but had rather not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hello, and Welcome I believed you have cloned the drive to the external instead of doing a standard backup. If you can afford to lose the data on the drive, I would delete the partitions, repartition and format the drive to NTFS. I would then create a disk image to the external drive using Macrium Free, not a clone, and have that as a backup. With Macrium, you would be able to mount the image as a virtual drive and explore the contents. The image would not take up the whole drive like a clone and use could use the extra space for storing data files.

I would download and install Partition Wizard. Delete all the partitions on the external drive (be sure you are doing this to the external drive), and then create and format a partition.

After this is doe you can install Macrium Free and create a disk image. I would also create the bootable WinPE rescue disk. This would allow you to boot the computer and restore an image if the computer could not longer boot because of Malware or a bad drive. If it was a bad drive, you would put the new one in and restore the disk image from the external drive.

#3 Oldog1

Oldog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

I'm Sorry JohnC I should have given more information.  I have been using  Macrium Reflect for some time and the drive in question has image copies made with that.  My other drive has clone copies of both partitions also made with Reflect. It is just that I think I need Driveletters.  I will follow your advise as best  I can.  Thanks again. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

When you attach the drive what drive letter is shown on the computer? You can assign any drive letter you wish in Disk Management.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/change-drive-letters-windows-7.htm

#5 Oldog1

Oldog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

When I first saved to the external BUP I just saved the C and E files not knowing that I should have assigned a Drive letter. I have no problem going back to these saved files, however thats all that I get. Just the saved files.  I am cut off from saving anything under a different file name, or even saving to new C and E back ups without copying over the existing back ups. So, I want to go back and assign a file letter to the BUP external drive.

c and E

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

If I understand correctly, you have an internal drive with partitions C: and E:. You saved these partitions to the external drive. The external drive had a drive letter or you could not have copied them. So, are you saying you also want a C: and E: folder on the external drive?  How did you backup C: and E: to the external drive? 

"I am cut off from saving anything under a different file name"

Sorry, I do not quite understand. If you could give me a screen shot of the external drive root directory, that would be helpful.

#7 Oldog1

Oldog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

Sorry that I didn't get back to you JohnC.  I have been away from my computer. I used your advice and got it straightened out.  Thanks Oldog

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:32 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the  update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users